PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What to offer?

Options
13»

Comments

• Sphynx
    Sphynx Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too. They said they weren’t in a rush and would hold out for asking price. Even the EA sounded disappointed!
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sphynx said:
    Me too. They said they weren’t in a rush and would hold out for asking price. Even the EA sounded disappointed!
    Sorry to hear that news, Sphynx. It may give you time to reflect on the question of sharing a semi. In a secluded area, the neighbours may be crucial-----good ones a blessing ( unless they're always pestering you with invitations to dinner) but bad ones a real pain in the neck ( either now or in the future). As I've mentioned, there are a lot of similar houses, with privacy and isolation, in that area-----and tend to be detached rather than semi. Take the breathing space to tour all the EAs and all the countryside around that Leics/Warks border country. It certainly is a nice area to have chosen, Sphynx, with access from a quiet rural location to the magnificent shopping facilities in a triangle around you of Solihull, Coventry and Leicester. Good luck , and if you are still keen on the original choice, make the sellers sweat a bit, so long as you ask the EAs to tell you immediately if there has been an offer so you can step in quickly if necessary. All the best. 
    And I'm sorry because I think you had set your heart on this one. Let us know how it proceeds. Until then.....
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mickygg said:
    Unless you really cant afford it an extra £10k to secure a house you really like must be worth thinking about? 
    Depends how many 10`s of thousand it is already overpriced by though doesn`t it?
  • Sphynx
    Options
    Thank you both, coachman you are kind. I phoned the EA yesterday to talk about putting in an asking price offer and before I could they said they were sending the owner of the company to see the vendor and ‘see if that makes a difference’. 
    Nothing heard yet so I don’t think the vendor is budging. I am scouring the online sites for anything else suitable.
  • eve824
    eve824 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    How much would SD be on a similar house after the holiday?
    How much will you spend renting a property before you find another?

To me, it seems silly to lose a property for the sake of £9k. Especially given the SD holiday. You might well end up spending far more than that on SD / renting.
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think you are right not to pay the extra £9k, Sphynx. If someone else makes a better offer than the one you've already made, make sure EA tells you straightaway-----so you can decide what to do.
    But, giving in now at this early stage is not the way most of my house purchases have ever proceeded, because it's just letting the seller have a "no pressure" situation where they just can't lose or be made to "see the light". Looking forward to hearing what the EA owner finds out from the sellers. Good luck with that.
    But complete support from the coach house for your stance so far. All the very best, Sphynx.
    BTW-----know anything about the semi's neighbours ?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Options
    You want a detached house for that kind of price IMO.
  • Sphynx
    Options
    Mr Fox (EA) hasn’t got back to me yet. 
    Neighbour is one old lady. Vendor says she keeps herself to herself (sounds like she might be a bit crabby). 
    I am keeping an eye out for detached houses - that’s what I set out for, but certainly round here a lot of the housing stock seems to have been sold in the post lockdown rush. I really don’t want to be on an estate. 
    I did what you suggested Coachman and asked the EA to keep me updated. In the meantime I’m getting my own sale in order and progressing. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure