PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to offer?

Options
I’m planning on putting an offer in on a house tomorrow. It has been on the market a couple of weeks and they have had 7 viewings and one offer which the EA only said they didn’t know if it was going anywhere.

It’s on the market for OIRO 489.950 I would be ok paying 480. I don’t know whether just to make a full and final offer, offer a bit lower and expect to come up or what. Any help appreciated 

Comments

• NameUnavailable
    Options
    There are no rules. Offer what you think is best. Personally I would tend to start off a bit on the low side as you can always go up.
    What is your position? Cash buyer, completed chain? If you're not ready to proceed then you're not in any real negotiating position, but nothing to stop you putting an offer in principle on the table.
  • numbercruncher8
    Options
    Nobody knows without context. The asking price is largely meaningless - could be priced to sell or a kite-flyer.

If you don't post the listing, you'll simply get a load of 'I took 480 on my house' or 'I'd tell you to get lost if it were my house', which is not that helpful.

It may be possible to guess that if the EA are willing to disclose that much, it isn't that popular a listing, and possibly overpriced.
  • Sphynx
    Sphynx Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have accepted an offer on our house and our buyers are selling to someone who is going to rent theirs out. The vendors of this house are moving into a family home following a bereavement
  • numbercruncher8
    Options
    I really like that place. 
    No idea of the area, but I'm sure some excellent advice will follow soon from those that do.
  • tweet86
    tweet86 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s hard to know what to offer. Some houses asking for OIRO end up dropping the price anyway, it depends what the area is like and how badly you’d like the house. It doesn’t suggest that it’s worth that price. We’ve never found the perfect house, there’s always several houses that are what we are looking for, so we always take a risk and make a low offer and go upwards. However if the house was a must I would make my best offer. The house is worth what you are prepared to pay. It looks like a wonderful house though 
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sphynx said:
    Nice house but a difficult one to value given the total lack of recent sales on the road.

I personally think that the vendor is going to hold out for an asking price or higher offer on that one but there is no harm in putting an offer in and seeing where it goes.

We don't mess about when offering on a house that we like. We go in with a firm and fair offer and make it clear that this is our best and final offer.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sphynx said:
    Nice house but a difficult one to value given the total lack of recent sales on the road.

I personally think that the vendor is going to hold out for an asking price or higher offer on that one but there is no harm in putting an offer in and seeing where it goes.

We don't mess about when offering on a house that we like. We go in with a firm and fair offer and make it clear that this is our best and final offer.
    Same as me. I make it clear as well this is all I’m paying there are no more offers coming. 

Looks like a lovely house. As there has been interest I would go in at £480k but make it clear that is all you are prepared to pay. 
  • Lespaul1960
    Options
    Lovely house, one thing worries me, shared private drainage system, but if that does not worry you . Go in at 475K then up it to 480. Good Luck.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How much did they buy it for, and when, do you know?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback