🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

new virgin SIM not valid nokia 1100

Options

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pumas said:
    It's not  the OP's fault that Virgin are rolling out new Sims, without any informatiuon, or warnings of possible problems, of which Customer Services seem to be unaware.
    Forewarned would have been forearmed. .
    Unfortunately, once the new Sim is activated, the old Sim is useless and phone contacts etc. are are 'lost'.
    Will Virgin compensate? 

But likewise its not Virgin's fault the OP is using obsolete hardware.  are you seriously suggesting Virgin should spend a load of time, money and effort keeping a system running for a phone from 2003 that probably less than 0.2% of the user base if that is still using?  There has to be a cut off somewhere as I've said above.

With regards to the contacts, well on a phone of that age they may have been able to be exported or imported (possibly in VCF format), but on those older phones there was always a risk of losing something as they had sod all storage for anything and you could only hold so many messages/contacts after all.  You wouldn't have added a load of contacts and then burnt your physical address book, lets put it that way.
  • pumas
    pumas Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But likewise its not Virgin's fault the OP is using obsolete hardware.  are you seriously suggesting Virgin should spend a load of time, money and effort keeping a system running for a phone from 2003 that probably less than 0.2% of the user base if that is still using?  There has to be a cut off somewhere as I've said above.

I've no idea what Virgin are doing, the problem is that Virgin have given no warning nor information that may forestall problems.
    Without any reason, why replace a working phone, if it does what you want. Not everyone needs or wants the latest gizmo. 
    (New sim worked in 15+ year old phone of which I've just seen lots for sale on ebay, sims didn't work 7 year old phones)
  • Neil_Jones
    edited 24 August 2020 at 8:26PM
    Options
    pumas said:

I've no idea what Virgin are doing, the problem is that Virgin have given no warning nor information that may forestall problems.
    Without any reason, why replace a working phone, if it does what you want. Not everyone needs or wants the latest gizmo. 
    (New sim worked in 15+ year old phone of which I've just seen lots for sale on ebay, sims didn't work 7 year old phones)
    There will be almost certainly be an entry in the T&Cs that state some handsets will be excluded from the network, example here:
    https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/Classic-TandCs-final-2018.pdf - Section D, Subsection 1,  subsection 4 - "Some mobile handsets may not be able to receive our services; this may occur where the above technical factors prevent this or where a mobile handset is locked to a different network. Our services are available only on mobile handsets which we have approved for use on the network."

This can probably be interpreted as "if we've made a technical change to the way our sims work, this may not be supported by your old hardware, if it works good, if it doesn't, not our problem".
  • pumas
    Options
    T&Cs are no excuse for Virgin not explaining what they were doing and possible consequences of installing new sims.
    From the letter which came with the sim: ...here it is - a brand new SIM to move you over to our even-better network and get you ready for exciting c-hanges and features coming in the future... Thats's the only meaningful part. I couldn't find anything more on their website, certainly nothing about 'old hardware', and none of the messages I've seen suggest 'old hardware' as such, is part of the problem.
    Anyway, none of this is helping the OP.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    pumas said:
    Anyway, none of this is helping the OP.
    I beg to differ, and these posts will most likely be of use to some people in the future when they find this in Google, a web forum thread is not exclusively for the eyes of the original poster.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 August 2020 at 6:12PM
    Options
    pumas said:
    It's not  the OP's fault that Virgin are rolling out new Sims, without any informatiuon, or warnings of possible problems, of which Customer Services seem to be unaware.
    Forewarned would have been forearmed. .
    Unfortunately, once the new Sim is activated, the old Sim is useless and phone contacts etc. are are 'lost'.
    Will Virgin compensate? 
    Deactivating the sim card doesn't remove the contacts from the sim memory - it just no longer logs onto the network.  Sounds like the handset is locked to EE/T-Mobile. 
  • pumas
    Options
    dahj said:

Deactivating the sim card doesn't remove the contacts from the sim memory - it just no longer logs onto the network.  Sounds like the handset is locked to EE/T-Mobile. The contacts were copied to the phone, but are stuck there as can't access a sim to copy them to. if not bought from Virgin, locked to EE.
    Can't access the sim card, so contacts stuck in phone.
    Yes, locked to EE if phone not bought from Virgin.
    Seems Virgin are getting rid of PAYG and haven't told me! 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pumas said:
    dahj said:

Deactivating the sim card doesn't remove the contacts from the sim memory - it just no longer logs onto the network.  Sounds like the handset is locked to EE/T-Mobile. The contacts were copied to the phone, but are stuck there as can't access a sim to copy them to. if not bought from Virgin, locked to EE.
    Can't access the sim card, so contacts stuck in phone.
    Yes, locked to EE if phone not bought from Virgin.
    Seems Virgin are getting rid of PAYG and haven't told me! 
    The sim doesn't need to be activated to get access to the phonebook - try something like a free ASDA mobile sim as they also use EE
  • Neil_Jones
    Options

At the risk of sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet, Virgin's resolution to the problem was already suggested by myself earlier in the thread - replacement handset.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure