Headphones advice needed

edited 14 August at 12:45AM in Techie Stuff
44 replies 634 views
donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
32.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 14 August at 12:45AM in Techie Stuff
my dad saw these newly released headphones and is now set on getting some headphones but we are not sure they are suitable. Here is the link,
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wh-1000xm4-wireless-bluetooth-noise-cancelling-headphones-black-10212570-pdt.html

they are quite pricey so we want to be sure they are right for us and of course we are open to other suggestions. 
our main requirements in order are,
1. Good noise cancelling.
2. Good sound quality.
3. Bluetooth.
4. Can work with the tv lg 49uh850v.
5. Can work with the denon d-m41 music system.
6. Can work with a ps4.
7. Are worn over ear and are comfortable.

Replies

• edited 14 August at 12:53AM
    RumRatRumRat Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 12:53AM
    Those are the best noise cancelling headphones on the market.....Should meet all your requirements.
    Good blog on them HERE
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • edited 14 August at 12:57AM
    donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 12:57AM
    RumRat said:
    Those are the best noise cancelling headphones on the market.....Should meet all your requirements.
    Thanks, i asked Sony direct on social media but they wouldnt give a straight answer and waffled on about bluetooth profiles which put doubts in my mind. I then got more doubts because i asked if they can handle 5.1 sound and rather than say yes or no or yes but they downmix to stereo they just said the headphones are stereo.
  • missilemissile Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I bought Bose in preference to Sony > https://www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Audio-Video/Headphones/Bose-QuietComfort-Headphones-in-Black/p/279346
    These work very well and connect to my Samsung TV and my Denon sound system with 5.1
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you decide source them from somewhere else apart from Currys in case of problems
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • edited 14 August at 9:27AM
    ChinoChino Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 9:27AM
    missile said:
    Hi, I bought Bose in preference to Sony
    The Sony headphones appear to have much longer battery life than the Bose headphones.
  • edited 14 August at 10:15AM
    missilemissile Forumite
    10.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 10:15AM
    Chino said:
    missile said:
    Hi, I bought Bose in preference to Sony
    The Sony headphones appear to have much longer battery life than the Bose headphones.
    I never put much faith in manufacturer's claims. The battery life is more than enough for me. I have used them whilst waiting for and during flight to Alicante, circa 4 hours continuous use. How long do you need?
    You might want to try before you buy? I tested Sony, Bose and others in John Lewis and Costco before deciding.
    Bose was personal choice for me. I don't think you would be disappointed with Sony.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    750 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have of pair of the Sony ones and they are incredible at cancelling repetitive/background noise out.
    Battery life is very very good
  • SpankSpank Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pair of the mk1's and they are brilliant, great sound & cancelling, comfortable and long lasting batteries. Can only imagine that they have improved with each generation. 
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa said:
    Whatever you decide source them from somewhere else apart from Currys in case of problems
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    They are the same price in John Lewis and they come with a 2 year guarantee:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-wh-1000xm4-noise-cancelling-wireless-bluetooth-nfc-high-resolution-audio-over-ear-headphones-with-mic-remote/p5100480
  • SpankSpank Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon have the mk3 for £230 atm