We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Split with partner, ignoring, force of sale
Comments
-
Pretty much! Yes we agreed on a value of the property and then since then he hasn't bought me out of the property. I cant sit and wait forever as he may be in there 20 years. Which means I am unable to move forward and get my own place again. Its all very frustrating.AskAsk said:
i see, that makes more sense as i thought blooming heck, that is a long time for the hand of the law to act, lol.lullabellez said:
No sorry, I didn't make that very clear. The price was agreed and for 2 years I have been trying to get him to respond for him to buy me out. A force of sale was suggested in January and I didn't want to do it. I have given him so many chances to respond and buy me out but he keeps ignoring me. So today I have emailed my solicitor and said that a force of sale may be my only hope and if she sees fit to put an application in.AskAsk said:
so have you been trying to force the sale of the house for 2 years? if so, that is a very long time to get your money back.lullabellez said:I've been seeing a solicitor since the split, so for nearly 2 years now. I've contacted them today saying that this needs to go ahead with the force of sale now. I didnt want it to be like this but I don't see any other option. I've been more than compliant with him and still had nothing in return, they even informed me that I am entitled to 50% of the contents of the house. I told them I'm not bothered and that he can have the lot as this makes it easier. I just want my half and it to be done with.
so you mean you had agreed with him how much he was going to pay to buy you out 2 years ago, but he hasn't stumped up the money?0 -
Yes pretty much! A value was agreed and then I've not heard a thing about him buying me out. He's just ignoring it and I can't sit and wait forever. He could ignore it for 20 years which means I can't get my own place again whilst being tied to the house. I want to own another property again but this restricts me if I don't do something about itAskAsk said:
i see, that makes more sense as i thought blooming heck, that is a long time for the hand of the law to act, lol.lullabellez said:
No sorry, I didn't make that very clear. The price was agreed and for 2 years I have been trying to get him to respond for him to buy me out. A force of sale was suggested in January and I didn't want to do it. I have given him so many chances to respond and buy me out but he keeps ignoring me. So today I have emailed my solicitor and said that a force of sale may be my only hope and if she sees fit to put an application in.AskAsk said:
so have you been trying to force the sale of the house for 2 years? if so, that is a very long time to get your money back.lullabellez said:I've been seeing a solicitor since the split, so for nearly 2 years now. I've contacted them today saying that this needs to go ahead with the force of sale now. I didnt want it to be like this but I don't see any other option. I've been more than compliant with him and still had nothing in return, they even informed me that I am entitled to 50% of the contents of the house. I told them I'm not bothered and that he can have the lot as this makes it easier. I just want my half and it to be done with.
so you mean you had agreed with him how much he was going to pay to buy you out 2 years ago, but he hasn't stumped up the money?0 -
well, you don't have to worry as when you force the sale of the house, which you are entitled to do, you will get 50% of the value of the property. i am not even sure if they would even take into account who contributed what in this division, but your solicitor will be able to advise you on this. i don't think the solicitors would be giving you false hope, so if they say you are going to get your money, then you will do.lullabellez said:
Yes pretty much! A value was agreed and then I've not heard a thing about him buying me out. He's just ignoring it and I can't sit and wait forever. He could ignore it for 20 years which means I can't get my own place again whilst being tied to the house. I want to own another property again but this restricts me if I don't do something about itAskAsk said:
i see, that makes more sense as i thought blooming heck, that is a long time for the hand of the law to act, lol.lullabellez said:
No sorry, I didn't make that very clear. The price was agreed and for 2 years I have been trying to get him to respond for him to buy me out. A force of sale was suggested in January and I didn't want to do it. I have given him so many chances to respond and buy me out but he keeps ignoring me. So today I have emailed my solicitor and said that a force of sale may be my only hope and if she sees fit to put an application in.AskAsk said:
so have you been trying to force the sale of the house for 2 years? if so, that is a very long time to get your money back.lullabellez said:I've been seeing a solicitor since the split, so for nearly 2 years now. I've contacted them today saying that this needs to go ahead with the force of sale now. I didnt want it to be like this but I don't see any other option. I've been more than compliant with him and still had nothing in return, they even informed me that I am entitled to 50% of the contents of the house. I told them I'm not bothered and that he can have the lot as this makes it easier. I just want my half and it to be done with.
so you mean you had agreed with him how much he was going to pay to buy you out 2 years ago, but he hasn't stumped up the money?1 -
Thank you. I've been so worried that I'd come out with nothing even through the legal system. This could have been sorted in less than 6 months if he'd have worked with me rather than against me. I'll be glad once its all over and done with. I'll be buying a house on my own next time so i don't have all this crap to deal with lolAskAsk said:
well, you don't have to worry as when you force the sale of the house, which you are entitled to do, you will get 50% of the value of the property. i am not even sure if they would even take into account who contributed what in this division, but your solicitor will be able to advise you on this. i don't think the solicitors would be giving you false hope, so if they say you are going to get your money, then you will do.lullabellez said:
Yes pretty much! A value was agreed and then I've not heard a thing about him buying me out. He's just ignoring it and I can't sit and wait forever. He could ignore it for 20 years which means I can't get my own place again whilst being tied to the house. I want to own another property again but this restricts me if I don't do something about itAskAsk said:
i see, that makes more sense as i thought blooming heck, that is a long time for the hand of the law to act, lol.lullabellez said:
No sorry, I didn't make that very clear. The price was agreed and for 2 years I have been trying to get him to respond for him to buy me out. A force of sale was suggested in January and I didn't want to do it. I have given him so many chances to respond and buy me out but he keeps ignoring me. So today I have emailed my solicitor and said that a force of sale may be my only hope and if she sees fit to put an application in.AskAsk said:
so have you been trying to force the sale of the house for 2 years? if so, that is a very long time to get your money back.lullabellez said:I've been seeing a solicitor since the split, so for nearly 2 years now. I've contacted them today saying that this needs to go ahead with the force of sale now. I didnt want it to be like this but I don't see any other option. I've been more than compliant with him and still had nothing in return, they even informed me that I am entitled to 50% of the contents of the house. I told them I'm not bothered and that he can have the lot as this makes it easier. I just want my half and it to be done with.
so you mean you had agreed with him how much he was going to pay to buy you out 2 years ago, but he hasn't stumped up the money?0 -
hope it works out fine. next time, do as i do, find a bloke with his own property and move into that, lol. only joking.lullabellez said:
Thank you. I've been so worried that I'd come out with nothing even through the legal system. This could have been sorted in less than 6 months if he'd have worked with me rather than against me. I'll be glad once its all over and done with. I'll be buying a house on my own next time so i don't have all this crap to deal with lolAskAsk said:
well, you don't have to worry as when you force the sale of the house, which you are entitled to do, you will get 50% of the value of the property. i am not even sure if they would even take into account who contributed what in this division, but your solicitor will be able to advise you on this. i don't think the solicitors would be giving you false hope, so if they say you are going to get your money, then you will do.lullabellez said:
Yes pretty much! A value was agreed and then I've not heard a thing about him buying me out. He's just ignoring it and I can't sit and wait forever. He could ignore it for 20 years which means I can't get my own place again whilst being tied to the house. I want to own another property again but this restricts me if I don't do something about itAskAsk said:
i see, that makes more sense as i thought blooming heck, that is a long time for the hand of the law to act, lol.lullabellez said:
No sorry, I didn't make that very clear. The price was agreed and for 2 years I have been trying to get him to respond for him to buy me out. A force of sale was suggested in January and I didn't want to do it. I have given him so many chances to respond and buy me out but he keeps ignoring me. So today I have emailed my solicitor and said that a force of sale may be my only hope and if she sees fit to put an application in.AskAsk said:
so have you been trying to force the sale of the house for 2 years? if so, that is a very long time to get your money back.lullabellez said:I've been seeing a solicitor since the split, so for nearly 2 years now. I've contacted them today saying that this needs to go ahead with the force of sale now. I didnt want it to be like this but I don't see any other option. I've been more than compliant with him and still had nothing in return, they even informed me that I am entitled to 50% of the contents of the house. I told them I'm not bothered and that he can have the lot as this makes it easier. I just want my half and it to be done with.
so you mean you had agreed with him how much he was going to pay to buy you out 2 years ago, but he hasn't stumped up the money?2 -
Is there much equity in the property. As legal costs will mount.0
-
There quite a bit tbhThrugelmir said:Is there much equity in the property. As legal costs will mount.0 -
I only asked, as you would wish to make a claim for your costs. These would be paid out of your partners share of the equity.0
-
You could get a locksmith round to get into the locks, then move back in. As others have said, its your property.
Though, proceeding with an order for sale may be sensible. Hopefully your solicitor has spelled out in correspondence exactly what the consequences will be if he fails to co-operate. Perhaps one more "letter before action" then issue proceedings.0 -
What is the current property value and current mortgage balance?
How much deposit did you each put in and how much was the mortgage intially?
How long have you owned the property?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards