PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Eviction Letter

Options
I have looked online but can't find anything to fit.  I am having to tell my autistic son to not return home.  There are safeguarding issues.  This is after many attempts to resolve the issues.  I have contacted social services and they are investigating the safeguarding issues as he is having an effect on my mental health and I have some MH issues myself.  Please understand I feel awful about this.  

But I have to write an eviction letter.  I don't intend to give notice.  Nothing online seems to fit these circumstances.  I want to give him the best chance I can to go to housing and find alternative housing.  I have already given the address of the local YMCA but he doesn't seem to have used this.  So I need to write an eviction notice giving reasons.., but don't really know what to write.  Saying 'there are safeguarding issues' sounds like meaningless waffle.., saying 'you pinned me against the wall and screamed and shouted at me, refusing to let me go, stole money from me twice, and manipulate me saying I've done things I haven't' doesn't really sound great.  

I am sorry to ask, but does anyone have any ideas how I can phrase this eviction letter?  "You are breaking all the boundaries of motherhood" won't help.  I'm aware of this.  But I think I am enabling him and can't seem to do the right thing to help him choose better life choices.  And he does scare me.

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why do you have to write a letter? Who is it for?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is one for social services.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is it your home or your tenancy and your son isn't mentioned on the deeds as being the owner or on the tenancy?

If so, just use one of the template letters, say it's with immediate effect and they need to contact you to arrange collection of their remaining personal effects.

You do not have to provide reasons, the council will contact you to ask why you won't have him in your home. 
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Due to your repeated violent behaviour and stealing I do not feel safe with you living here, and I am worried that your younger brother is in danger from you too.  I have to protect myself and I have to protect him, so you can not live here anymore as of (whatever day you decide). 

I still love you and want you to be safe so please call this number for the council to help you, 0222 111 3333. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2020 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Is it your home or your tenancy and your son isn't mentioned on the deeds as being the owner or on the tenancy?
    You do not have to provide reasons, the council will contact you to ask why you won't have him in your home. 
    It is social housing, my son is mentioned as living here in the tenancy agreement but the tenancy is only in my name. Obviously I will need to pay bedroom tax on the empty bedroom in the future and will make sure this happens.

He is 24, so is legally an adult, is vulnerable but won't engage with social services or counselling - I have tried a few times.  There is no support.  Might be now I've talked about it as I have a social worker (mental health) - although we are still in the assessment phase so not sure how permanent she is.  I have been very frank about my failures as well.  Social services said I needed to write the eviction letter so he can go as a vulnerable adult to housing for assessment for housing need.  I will scan and send him his ESA assessments and the initial housing assessment plus diagnosis documents.

I have tried to point out that it could be a lot better for him to live with a better support network but I don't expect him to appreciate this right now.  Its not going to be easy for him but being here is definitely not making him happy or helping him. Ultimately I can't keep walking on eggshells.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    If he is not a tenant, then you do not need to evict him.  He is merely a guest, living in the property at your invitation. So all you need to do is withdraw your invitation. He has no legal right to occupy.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had to write one for my mom years ago to hand to my sibling and spouse. It never got handed over as they moved out after a few days.

If your son will not engage with the official people who can help him, it's not your responsibility or obligation to do so.

I'm sorry, it may be heartless to say that. 

You must put yourself first, your safety and your own health.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2020 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Macman
    Legally that may be correct but as he will only receive any kind of housing from social housing and I really don't want him on the streets, I am told they need some letter of eviction stating my unwillingness to have him in this house.  It is a genuine letter, but I don't quite know how to phrase it.  I also don't want to list his many crimes in such a way that they will say he's made himself voluntarily homeless. I can no longer cope with him living here, but I don't want him on the streets, I want him able to make better choices if he can do so.

Moving forwards
    I understand and agree with what you are saying.  I don't think I am helping him anyway.  There's nothing here to make him try to move forwards.  
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi
    My Mum wrote a letter to the council many years ago saying she was throwing me out. This was for different reasons to yours but served the same purpose. Due to this I was housed by the council. She wrote a very brief 'To whom it may concern' letter. She stated that she was no longer willing to house me from 'today's date' and would not let me in if I returned. She did not give reason. That was enough to fulfil the councils tick box policy. They don't need reason or justification from you just the fact you will no longer accommodate him. I am sorry that you are in this situation and wish you and your son all the best.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    His unreasonable and unpredictable behaviour is affecting your mental health?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback