PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House being used as a show home without my knowledge

Hi, I’m after some advice.

I reserved a new build house last week, it’s build complete, ready to move in. Just need to finish the sale of ours and exchange contracts etc..

We live local to the house so went for a walk up there last night to have a look, and it’s been fully furnished.

Can they do this? I’m now concerned they’ve done this to show people around like a show home, so we’ll have people going through our place constantly before we move in, potentially ruining carpets, etc.

Also, any furniture will obviously leave impressions in the carpets, marks on walls.

Overall, I’m just surprised they’d do this, I’ve dropped the sales office a line, but interested in everyone’s thoughts.

Thanks,

Lee

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would check things thoroughly for damage/wear before final acceptance.
    But I guess it's not yours til it's paid for.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2020 at 8:58AM
    Can't read your reservation from here...

But it's not your house yet. You haven't even promised legally to buy it yet. All you've done is pay them to not sell it to anybody else until <certain date>
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you choose the carpets? pay extra for them?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • leeb1977
    leeb1977 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks, that’s exactly what I expect them to come back with, and I get it. Just thinking, I’ve reserved based on seeing the house in x condition, mortgage gets sorted, I go to exchange and it’s in a different condition, I’m stuck with it, as I’ll have sold my house, so it’s a case of accept it, or walk away without a house, (or cancel my house sale as well).
  • leeb1977
    First Post
    Alter_ego said:
    Did you choose the carpets? pay extra for them?
    They were included as “an incentive”, to the house price.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I doubt under current circumstances it's going to have people going through it "constantly", or that the wear and tear will be anything like somebody actually living in it. In any event, the condition they'll be obliged to hand it over in will be that (if any) stated in your contract.
  • How many properties are left to sell on the site?
    I would imagine they are just using your house to store the furniture from the show home (which has presumably been sold)?
    Out if interest Lee, where in the country have you bought?

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2020 at 9:14AM
    leeb1977 said:
    I’ve reserved based on seeing the house in x condition, mortgage gets sorted, I go to exchange and it’s in a different condition, I’m stuck with it
    What does the reservation say about condition?

Generally, you exchange based on the condition at the date of exchange.
  • leeb1977
    First Post
    How many properties are left to sell on the site?
    I would imagine they are just using your house to store the furniture from the show home (which has presumably been sold)?
    Out if interest Lee, where in the country have you bought?

There’s quite a few left to build, there is already a showhome, but it’s a different property type, and not sold yet.

I’m buying in Swindon.
  • leeb1977
    First Post
    davidmcn said:
    I doubt under current circumstances it's going to have people going through it "constantly", or that the wear and tear will be anything like somebody actually living in it. In any event, the condition they'll be obliged to hand it over in will be that (if any) stated in your contract.
    It’s really popular at the moment here, can take days to get an appointment to view, but yeah, more controlled than pre-covid

I’ve been through all the documents provided, and our reservation form, and there’s nothing about what condition they’ll provide it in, or saying what they can, (or can’t) do to the house after I’ve reserved.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback