Eat out to help out

Options
Dined out in restaurant in Wales tonight Tues 4th and 50% discount NOT applied to all the menus. They had specific 2 course menu at £20 marked up as EOHO and another separate menu sheet. Upon paying bill was told 50% discount didn’t apply to food on this one which we had ordered from - 2 steaks £19.50 each and £5 for two peppercorn sauces. Can’t be right under EOHO rules?  What does anyone else think, can restaurant’s make there own rules and exemptions?

Comments

• sweetsand
    sweetsand Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 August 2020 at 11:51PM
    Options
    What you must not forget is that the EOHO is exactly that ie pulling in punters so they can make money from you guys that are out in masses. Many want to "support" their "local business" I've read many times and this is your chance to do it via Eat Out. Help Out the business that may fold if people do not go there so you did, Eat Out and HELPED Out.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you saw one menu was marked for the scheme and the other nto,  did you not ask the question before ordering?
    It's not necessarily a full 50% off either. The most you can get off is £10 p p.

You can report to hmrc if you think they're abusing the scheme. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Options
    Did you ask before ordering?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2020 at 11:59PM
    Options
    The guidance says 

When you should offer the discount

When you register for the scheme, it is expected that you will offer it during the whole of your opening hours on all the eligible days that you are open and on all qualifying sales of food or drink.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-more-information-about-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme/get-more-information-about-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme

So it does seem they could be pulling a bit of a fast one. You could go back to them, point this out and ask them to explain how they are meeting this guidance.  Then decide how far you want to take it. Social media can be good for this,  

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are supposed to offer it on all non alcoholic purchases and not limit the discount to certain items or menus
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 August 2020 at 1:48AM
    Options
    Big companies seem to be doing it wrong too. For example on the first paragraph of Weatherspoons page they say on “selected meals”.. 

• He
    He Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 August 2020 at 6:46AM
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    Big companies seem to be doing it wrong too. For example on the first paragraph of Weatherspoons page they say on “selected meals”.. 

"A selection of meals" might mean that not all meals are available  because of the current favourite reason, covid - (our local branch is running a limited menu atm - e.g. no scrambled eggs)?

I've had a coffee and a bite to eat both days this week, and got the Chancellor's discount regardless of what I ordered. Did a random check using their app yesterday - worked on their meal deals which included a drink too .......
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe the restaurant with the EOHO menu shows prices after the discount.
    That's not how I understand that the scheme should work.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2020 at 10:51AM
    Options
    MarkN88 said:

Your link actually says 'More than 700 Wetherspoon pubs across the UK will be offering a selection of meals (with a drink) at a lower price than the equivalent food from Tesco -  as part of the government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme.' It does later say that not all meals are available in all outlets and prices vary. That is because they have slightly limited their usual menu anyway and menus can vary between outlets. 
    So it is on all meals and soft drinks which is in line with Government requirements and no meal is excluded. 
    We ended up eating there both Monday and Tuesday this week as we couldn't get into anywhere else locally, and yesterday my OH had a fancy burger with fries and a pint for less than £5.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi soolin said:
    MarkN88 said:

Your link actually says 'More than 700 Wetherspoon pubs across the UK will be offering a selection of meals (with a drink) at a lower price than the equivalent food from Tesco -  as part of the government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme.' It does later say that not all meals are available in all outlets and prices vary. That is because they have slightly limited their usual menu anyway and menus can vary between outlets. 
    So it is on all meals and soft drinks which is in line with Government requirements and no meal is excluded. 
    We ended up eating there both Monday and Tuesday this week as we couldn't get into anywhere else locally, and yesterday my OH had a fancy burger with fries and a pint for less than £5.
    Yeah I had forgotten they had limited their menu to start with so that explains the limited meals bit. 

The price of under £5 for that is really good. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback