PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Own house outright, but have zero money, can I be forced to sell?

Options
Hi all,
Just a scenario that I might find myself in if things carry on the way they are going.  Basically, due to the inability to make any money now, (and circumstances have lead to the the only benefit I can claim being child benefit) and with a very bleak looking future for myself, I'm wondering if I can't pay my bills, council tax, or anything in the future, will I be forced to sell my house which I now own outright?
If I can't pay for anything, my debts will rack-up, I would think my power, water and gas will be cut off, bailiffs would take my TV, bed and car, but the council tax will still accumulate, so where does that lead me?
Hey-ho,
Chipper :)

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure how that's possible with benefits? But ok. 

If you were to be made bankrupt, yes the house could be sold. 

Water cannot be cut off ever. and power and gas not likely if youve got kids.

Ultimately you're looking at several years down the line
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Council tax can lead to you going to prison.

Other debts can merely lead to a charge being placed against your property, although your trustee in bankruptcy may decide that your creditors are best served by it being sold.

https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/your-home

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/is-bankruptcy-right-for-you/will-you-lose-your-home-bankruptcy/
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This really needs to go over to the debt boards. Ask sourcrates to move it?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • chipolatta
    chipolatta Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sourcrates, can you move this thread to the debt board please.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you get a job if only part time to help get some money?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to prioritise your debts. In the absence of rent or a mortgage, Council Tax is the first priority, since it's a statutory debt. As others have said, water is never cut off from residential properties, and gas/electricity rarely, except with persistent fraud. Phone and broadband, yes, they will disconnect eventually. Much more likely that the energy supplier will just install PPM's and put you on a repayment schedule to recover any debt.
    Nor do bailiffs remove beds and TV's, as the auction value is near to zero anyway. If a creditor were to be awarded a judgement against you, they certainly would try to seize your car, but they can only do this if it's not on finance.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman said:
    If a creditor were to be awarded a judgement against you, they certainly would try to seize your car, but they can only do this if it's not on finance.
    And, if it was, it'd almost certainly be repossessed by the financier.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What was your income before? Self-employment and in something that hasn't started back up?

Why are you only entitled to CB? Why not UC etc? Have you checked the entitled to website?

How many children do you have and what are their ages nursery age? Primary? Secondary?

Do you have a partner who lives with you?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Splatfoot
    Splatfoot Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have a child which you do as you've said you have child benefit,  you'll be entitled to child tax credits. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback