Money Moral Dilemma: Is it wrong to use staff discount after I've quit?

Comments

• bazwaldo
    bazwaldo Posts: 564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There is no way in the world that you are the only non employee using that 'secret' discount code. I'm sure that the majority of those employees share that same code with friends and family.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Would be fair if you were still working out your notice period, or on gardening leave. There could also be a standard practice that allows this for a set time after you leave.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If your ex employers cannot be bothered to de-activate the code(s), then they should chalk it up to their loss & their accounts should be monitored more closely! 
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would email  the company and ask them if its okay to keep using the discounts codes. That way if they ever come back to you, you'll have a "Get out of Jail" card. Some companies have discount codes for retired staff with X number of years service. 
    Perks from works is such a minefield - some good ones, - years back we used to get £25 per month for home internet to be used for learning.
  • This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

It's a year since I left my job with a large, well-known fashion brand, which I still buy from regularly online. As employees, we got a secret code for 20% off and free delivery, which I assumed would be deactivated after I quit. Evidently, this isn't the case as I still use the code for every purchase. It's hardly a MoneySaving brand, so I couldn't afford to buy stuff from it as often as I do if I had to pay full price. My mate who still works there says the company won't care because they're still making a sale, but it feels dishonest. Should I stop?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    If you really want the correct answer why don't you contact your ex-employer and ask them rather than just hope everyone says "it'll be ok to carry on". I think you know the answer already.
    You say yourself that it feels dishonest. Well it is. I would think you are committing offences contrary to the Fraud Act, you're certainly obtaining a pecuniary advantage, unless there was something in your contract with your former employer which states you are entitled to the discount after leaving the company. 
  • If you need to ask the question then deep down you probably already know the answer! You don’t work there so don’t do it! It’s called theft...
  • HIA
    HIA Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Kept using discounted gym membership for as long as possible after leaving my last job.
  • Oh dear having read some comments I would say be careful.  The company may not know what you are doing and usually staff discounts are solely for the benefit of employees only.  As you are no longer an employee I would be inclined to ask the company if it is okay to use the discount.  I have issue with many suggesting that companies know this goes on but if the benefit ended with your employment they could bring a prosecution if they find out.  I think from what you have already said you know it is wrong to use the discount.  Is it really worth losing your credibility or getting a criminal record?  Do the right thing.
  • Bern64
    Bern64 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you search for your fashion brand on Google and ask for Voucher codes (or similar search term), lots of money saving vouchers from different companies come up. You will probably find you are able to save 20% on your fashion brand anyway. Possibly not every time you search but these discounts are offered pretty regularly and often come with free P&P too if you spend over a certain amount.
  • Aleann
    Aleann Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are no degrees of honesty. Either you’re honest or dishonest, your choice. What price your integrity?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback