Forum Home» I wanna buy-it or do-it

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it wrong to use staff discount after I've quit?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it wrong to use staff discount after I've quit?

edited 28 July at 1:23PM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
58 replies 40.2K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
133 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 28 July at 1:23PM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

It's a year since I left my job with a large, well-known fashion brand, which I still buy from regularly online. As employees, we got a secret code for 20% off and free delivery, which I assumed would be deactivated after I quit. Evidently, this isn't the case as I still use the code for every purchase. It's hardly a MoneySaving brand, so I couldn't afford to buy stuff from it as often as I do if I had to pay full price. My mate who still works there says the company won't care because they're still making a sale, but it feels dishonest. Should I stop?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really have to ask!
    The clue is in the name, staff discount.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If the company were to contact you and ask you to repay the 20% discount that you are exactly stealing,  would you think that is fair?
  • DoxDox Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't just feel dishonest, it is dishonest. Why do you even need to ask?
  • amy1angelamy1angel Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Where's the 'dilema'? It's wrong to take something you are no longer entitled to.
  • SalforalSalforal Forumite
    8 posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fraud by false representation. You are committing a criminal offence every time you use the discount code.
    In God I trust. Everyone else is a suspect.
  • navinightnavinight Forumite
    2 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    As already said, it is a Staff Discount that was a perk issued when you were an employee.  
  • MiddlestitchMiddlestitch Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Lukas239 said:
    This forum is seemingly populated by self-righteous paragons. The discount means a purchase is still made (win for the economy), and you still have some money in your pocket (win for you) which you may spend elsewhere (economy win #2). Large corporations are likely to build relative 'losses' into pricing anyway. I say carry on, if they don't police or spot it, it's their incompetence. If it was a small, family run business it may be a different answer however. 

What's your objection to honesty?
  • james543james543 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I agree with Lukas. Some real nonsense replies on here. Its up to your company to stop your offer. If I was you I’d keep using it as much as you can until they say anything (unlikely). You’ve not been dishonest because no-one has said anything to you. Don’t feel guilty at all!