Accident with a car without Road Tax

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    i wanted to ask, my girlfriend bought a new car 2 months ago. She did the insurance and has got the new keepers slip. However she was told by the seller that the logbook will be sent and can drive the car as their is tax until November 2020. Due to new employment and covid she was not able to follow up with the seller with regards to sending the logbook. To our shock the logbook still has not been sent and now checking the DVLA website it says tax ended 31st July. She went to tax the car today on the DVLA website but it came up saying ‘unfortunately you cannot use this service as the v5c/2 reference number you have used is invalid.’ 

From reading couple of threads can she go to the post office and tax the car?
    She'll need to use a V62 to get a V5C in her name and to tax the car.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate

When you check the reg on Vehicle Enquiry, what does it show as the date of issue of the most recent V5C?
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

(BTW, to start a new thread, click the great big red "NEW THREAD" button in the top right of the forum index page)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    If she does the v62 will she be able to tax the car on that day or will she have to wait until the new logbook arrives? BTW she has got the little green slip as well as screenshots of the logbook with the old keepers details.

it says that the last logbook was issued in November 2019, so why is it not allowing her to tax the car with the new keepers slip?
    My money's on the V5C/2 not being from that Nov 19 V5C, but from a previous one... Just after the doc ref in the lower left corner, there's a date...

On the V62 pdf I linked to, there's a section that says "What to do if you also need to tax the vehicle"... That should answer your question...
  • AdrianC
    Options
    So there y'go. They've given you the V5C/2 from an old V5C. Which begs the question what happened to the correct one, the November one...

Get in contact, and ask them about that.

If they can provide it, then use the doc ref from that to change the keeper online and tax it using the V5C/2 from that.
    If it can't be provided for whatever reason, then V62 is your only route.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    Hey guy, didn’t know how to make a separate thread.

For future reference

• ontheroad1970
    Options
    There could be.  DVLA might issue a fine for driving without road fund licence an d also bill you for the outstanding.  
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    Thanks guys, as a first time buyer she is really worried with regards to what’s happened. When it does get sorted out would their be any fines to incur or criminal proceedings?
    Unlikely, although she has been keeping a car on the road untaxed for two months...

Get it off the road until it's taxed!
  • ontheroad1970
    ontheroad1970 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 September 2020 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    Ok, suppose she pays the fine, would that go on her criminal record Or driving licence like a speeding fine?
    It's not a recordable offence so no, it wouldn't appear on a background check.
  • onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    Ok, suppose she pays the fine, would that go on her criminal record Or driving licence like a speeding fine?
    Does she have a criminal record?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    Sorry to repeat this guys but I was reading the Taxing part on the V62. I don’t really understand that, because there has been a new logbook issued and my girlfriend has the old keepers slip would she not be able to tax the car and drive or does she have to wait for the new logbook to come.
    You do not have the correct V5C/2 green slip.
    So, yes, you will have to pay the £25 and wait.
    It is likely to take weeks - because they will write to the current registered keeper and confirm that there is no issue with the transfer - and because DVLA are way behind on post due to covid.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Sahir1234 said:
    I was just reading on that, I hope the seller responds back to the DVLA ASAP. Just in the instance he does not, what happens?
    They have 28 days to reply. If they don't, then benefit of the doubt goes to the applicant.

The seller may not be the current registered keeper.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback