Scottish Mortgage Trust

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2020 at 5:19PM
    Options
    If Tesla is added to the SP500 it will be one of the biggest additions on record.
    Trackers will have to sell down other stocks to get the required ratios I think.
    Will be larger than around 95% of the existing index. 

• Aminatidi
    Aminatidi Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was considering a small 5% or so position in this so the 7% drop today certainly has me thinking.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Aminatidi said:
    I was considering a small 5% or so position in this so the 7% drop today certainly has me thinking.
    maybe a sign of things to come and people panicking
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    More like a sign of profit taking. Its best not to get caught up in these fluctuations and think you can time the market short term.
    If you have faith in the management, just hold. If you dont, why hold the shares?
  • sg1000
    sg1000 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have read all these comments with much interest...all enlightening.  The drop of just under 7% today means SMT is no longer 25% of the portfolio, so I can rest easy, whilst trying to build up a core fund (HSBC Global Strategy).
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sg1000 said:
    I have read all these comments with much interest...all enlightening.  The drop of just under 7% today means SMT is no longer 25% of the portfolio, so I can rest easy, whilst trying to build up a core fund (HSBC Global Strategy).
    That's good, but are you regretting not rebalancing by selling some SMT when it was 25% of your portfolio?
  • dont_look_now
    dont_look_now Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2020 at 9:02PM
    Options
    If Tesla is added to the SP500 it will be one of the biggest additions on record.
    Trackers will have to sell down other stocks to get the required ratios I think.
    Yes, that's what S&P500 trackers will be doing.
    This is one reason why I hold a "Total Market" tracker for the US, not an S&P500 tracker. So my US tracker already holds Tesla, at its market weight, and its S&P500 inclusion will be a complete non-event for me.
    (Note: "total" doesn't really mean "total", but it does mean including any company of significant size, plus some of insignificant size.)
  • sg1000
    sg1000 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer said:
    sg1000 said:
    That's good, but are you regretting not rebalancing by selling some SMT when it was 25% of your portfolio?

Not really, Audaxer. Haven't sold anything in the ten years I have been "investing", albeit I started at a small monthly drip feed.  I'm not looking to crystalise anything for at least another eight years....so it has time to recover.

• Username999
    Username999 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This is one reason why I hold a "Total Market" tracker for the US, not an S&P500 tracker. So my US tracker already holds Tesla, at its market weight, and its S&P500 inclusion will be a complete non-event for me.
    (Note: "total" doesn't really mean "total", but it does mean including any company of significant size, plus some of insignificant size.)
    This one?
    https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/overview/VTSMX/portfolio-holdings
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sg1000 said:
    Audaxer said:
    sg1000 said:

Not really, Audaxer. Haven't sold anything in the ten years I have been "investing", albeit I started at a small monthly drip feed.  I'm not looking to crystalise anything for at least another eight years....so it has time to recover.

If SMT recovers and shoots up again and becomes say, 30% or more of your portfolio, it would most likely be beneficial to you to rebalance by selling some of SMT and buying more of other funds/ITs in your portfolio to get back to your preferred asset allocation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback