Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Broadband phone number not transferable ?

New Post Advanced Search

Broadband phone number not transferable ?

6 replies 185 views
laurielealaurielea Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
When I transferred to NOW  14 months ago they refused to allow me to bring my landline number with me and insisted on issuing a replacement.
The saving was good so I absorbed the £60 cost of re-printing my business stationary. However now it is time to change again and I cannot find another cost effective provider who does not insist on issuing another new number. The savings are smaller this time and the print costs will be 75% of them.
I realise it would be better to just use my mobile number but my customers like to see that I am a local supplier as this gives them confidence.
Does anyone have any insight into this please ?

Replies

• Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't use the lanline no with the broadband.

Get a landline no tied to voip and use that on all your stationary. Probably cost more though.

Also do know that having a local no does not mean you are local, there are many ways you can have one and not be in the area.

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business then you should have a business broadband service .
  • edited 13 July at 12:06PM
    Roger.WilcoRoger.Wilco Forumite
    40 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 July at 12:06PM
    laurielea said:
    When I transferred to NOW  14 months ago they refused to allow me to bring my landline number with me and insisted on issuing a replacement.
    It would appear that NOW is not using the Openreach local-loop anyway if they didn't want to transfer the initial number and cannot forward the number onward so are most probably using a Voice over Internet type of service.
    I realise it would be better to just use my mobile number but my customers like to see that I am a local supplier as this gives them confidence.
    Depends on how much effort / cost you are willing to cope with.

At the easiest side of the scale is just use a Mobile and deal with it.
    • Can get v.cheap SIM only deals with unlimited texts and voice for £6/month
    • The number can be transferred between mobile networks
    • Can use an old mobile phone permanently charging with the business number and can forward the number to anywhere (day-to-day phone / spouse / employee phone etc...).
    • In a forwarding scenario outgoing calls will be from a different number to incoming calls.
    Something slightly more complex is a Business Reception service that as a service can either forward calls to any number you specify or may even act as a receptionist or play an intro message etc....
    • Some can provide a number than can be ported (transferred) in future though many do not.
    • Some can transfer numbers in (*some also able to transfer out - but usually more expensive for such a number).
    • Many can provide UK local numbers from any UK town (or any other town around the world).
    • Can provide many additional services (at additional cost, like greeting messages, IVRs, call groups, real phone receptionist, phone to SMS conversion etc...)
    • The base services seem to start from £7/month - but you'll need a mobile or phone for the calls to be forwarded to.
    • These companies could be based anywhere in the world - so you'll need to do your research if you want a UK based company to deal with.  (a quick Google search shows eReceptionist for example is based in Dublin).
    Something more complex is a Business broadband phone service that will give you a phone you connect to broadband or WiFi and has the business number attached to the phone.
    • Like above - some can provide a number than can be ported (transferred) in future though many do not.
    • Some can transfer numbers in (*some also able to transfer out - but usually more expensive for such a number).
    • Many can provide UK local numbers from any UK town (or any other town around the world).
    • Can provide many additional services (like greeting messages, IVRs, call groups,  etc...) as part of the base deal.
    • Is independent to the Internet connection - so can change broadband provider but keep the business phone service.
    • These companies could be based anywhere in the world - so you'll need to do your research if you want a UK based company to deal with.
    • There are many-many companies that provide this type of service from large to small with differing levels of integration like Smartphone Apps and "business reporting"...  Some like WigWag are big and polished, CoOp phone service are part of the CoOp group, TXRXcomms a small Hampshire company that provides such service to Churches, and community groups.
    • The base services seem to start from £8/month (not including the Internet phone £60-200) - you'll need to have a steady & stable broadband connection.
    • Depending on deal & package / supplier - outgoing calls may be fixed like £xx for 2000mins or charged upon use as £0.0x/min.
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    474 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    laurielea said:
    The saving was good so I absorbed the £60 cost of re-printing my business stationary. However now it is time to change again and I cannot find another cost effective provider who does not insist on issuing another new number. The savings are smaller this time and the print costs will be 75% of them.

If the savings are less than £60, and its costing you £45 to reprint stuff, then are you seriously going to lose potential customers with your "old" number for the sake of saving £15?

Over time, print your mobile onto replacement stuff, along with your email, and maybe add a strap line about your locality to reinforce the local part
  • edited 15 July at 9:37PM
    BarGinBarGin Forumite
    852 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 9:37PM
    You can get a free local number with a Sipgate.co.uk basic account. Make and receive calls using a voip app on your mobile. I use SessionTalk but there are others. This will have no connection to your broadband provider.
  • anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're happy with calls via the internet,  other providers also do local phone numbers.  www.localphone.com is one
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)