The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Fast house clearance - advice

My mum recently died and I have the job (as well as organising probate) of clearing her house of various items as the house needs to go up for sale as soon as possible. After family members have taken what they would like (the estate is left to myself to deal out to various siblings) we have managed to sell a few items of furniture on Shpock and bits on Ebay but we still have a large amount of good books, kitchenware, and misc items that are too good to throw in the skip. As there is so much to deal with I have not the time to list every individual book (unless worth a decent amount) that would sell for around £1-3 at best. I have even put them outside the house for passers by to take but people don't seem to want books, cds an dvd's anymore. Also, some of the furniture has not sold due to the Shpock time wasters who seem interested at first and then go quiet. Ebay is also rubbish, nothing like it used to be so moving all the valuable items is a slow process. Then we have many many bags of clothing, materiel and bedding to go for recycling but again, the people who collect this kind of thing stiplify specific items, not bedding etc. This is difficult as all the bagged items are mixed.

Basically its a nightmare trying to shift stuff that is too good to skip. If anyone knows of any house clearance folk who would pay a reasonable amount in the Cheshire area I would be grateful.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,363
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    House clearance companies charge to remove contents, they don't generally pay to do so.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,548
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A Charity Shop that sells second hand furniture may be interested in the furniture and maybe other items. They won't pay you for it but they will collect it from the house.

A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,456
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nobody it going to pay you to take it away - probably worth £500+ to pay someone else to deal with it.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,565
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your local Freegle, Freecycle or give it away on Gumtree etc.

• lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Facebook marketplace is worth trying too.... But lots of time wasters there

You may think it's too good for the tip but the reality may be different 
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    British Heart Foundation will take furniture but are picky. 
    If you can separate the bedding and clothing you could donate the bedding to an animal rescue charity. Do you have something like Women's Aid near you who might take the bits mixed?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    British Heart Foundation will take furniture but are picky. 
    If you can separate the bedding and clothing you could donate the bedding to an animal rescue charity. Do you have something like Women's Aid near you who might take the bits mixed?
    For us BHF wanted to charge more than a house clearance company &, as you say, wouldn't take everything.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,480
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a lot of brand new mobility aids too like frames, bath seat, perching stool, commode, etc. I did try a company in Preston who buy it but they didn't seem interested.  Can't think why as hardly used.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,078
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2020 at 11:26AM
    If you have Facebook there are usually lots of local recycling groups. We have a Waste Not, Want Not group, Community Hub and groups that collect for the homeless/refugee aid etc. Your local Foodbank may accept bedding, clothes and homewares. Mobility aids may find a home through your local Red Cross or disability support groups. Duvets and pillows are hard to recycle, but some animal shelters will take them for pet bedding.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,363
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The only way you will get money for items is to put the time and effort into selling them directly.  As you have seen, that is far from straightforward.  Moving stuff out, even to charities is even more difficult at present because many of them have effectively ceased operation until their outlets are up and running again.  For clothes which are in wearable condition i.e. clean and not stained in any way, try Cash 4 Clothes.  They will give 50p per kilo which is possibly better than nothing if there is a decent amount.  Small quantity will probably cost more in petrol than you will get back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback