New Post Advanced Search

BT 'FTTP is now in your area' leaflet

edited 9 July at 12:27PM in Broadband & Internet Access
22 replies 451 views
Wobbly_BobWobbly_Bob Forumite
22 posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
edited 9 July at 12:27PM in Broadband & Internet Access
Got one of these posted through letterbox last week saying 'FTTP is available in your area'.
Went online to check their site. 'FTTP is not available in your area'.
Well played BT.
If i had a pound for every time somebody said that.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a waste .
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    241 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Got one of these posted through letterbox last week saying 'FTTP is available in your area'.
    Went online to check their site. 'FTTP is not available in your area'.
    Well played BT.

Its possible the checkers haven't been updated yet. Or it could be in error if very close by properties are enabled...
  • Wobbly_BobWobbly_Bob Forumite
    22 posts
    'We need to make people who live in area X aware that fttp is in that area Jim'
    'Ok sir'
    'Obviously, if we post leaflets through their door before updating our line checkers, the people would get frustrated'
    'Yes sir'
    'Can i leave that with you then Jim?
    'Yes sir, i will make sure that we send the leaflets out BEFORE we update the checkers'
    'Good man'
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had FTTP since April 2018 and still a lot of the checkers don't offer it - look on the OpenReach website.

Most suppliers still don't offer FTTP so it's not all that easy to track down - even companies like Zen and A&A took several months before they had their system in place to offer it after BT had gone live TBH I even had trouble with BT understanding that they had gone live even though I was fully aware that it was up and running.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • edited 11 July at 6:06AM
    Wobbly_BobWobbly_Bob Forumite
    22 posts
    edited 11 July at 6:06AM
    Out of interest, what speeds are you getting matelodave?
  • edited 11 July at 8:53AM
    brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 July at 8:53AM
    ....and, if you don't mind me asking, 1) what sort of premium are you having to pay vs FTTC. 2) How much was the initial install price ?
    I ask because our "village" is currently being cabled up, with a view to at least 75% being FTTP "ready" by June 2021 but no-one will give me future prices, even ball park.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay for 76 Mbit/s and get 76 Mbit/s (upload 20Mbit/s), I could have had 150 or 330 if I'd wanted and apparently there's an opportunity to get 900. if I want it. As 76 is significantly better than the 1.8Mbit/s I was getting previously I'm more than happy with it.
    It's not as cheap as ADSL though, My initial contract cost me £46/mo with unlimited phone calls which got ramped up to £65 after 12 months but I got it down to £52 (that's with BT). The BB is over fibre but we've still got a copper phone line (the overhead line between the pole and the house is a hybrid optical/copper combination). We live in a rural location and most of us have overhead connections - there's been a good take up of optical here as we are about three miles from the nearest fibre enabled cabinet and five from the exchange so ADSL was pretty ropey. Several people had resorted to a point-to-point wireless solution and one even had satellite.

I ended up losing both my phone and broadband for the best part of three weeks when I transferred to FTTP in 2018 - but that was mainly due to BT's incompetence at the time - hopefully two years on and their procedures are a bit better organised, It was difficult to speak to anyone who knew what was going on as there were only a very select few who knew how it should work.

I did contemplate going with Zen for about £40 and investigating VOIP or just going 100% mobile for the phone but decided to let the market settle a bit until there's are a few more players and the transfer is a bit less flaky. There doesn't seem to be a seamless process in place for fibre transfer like there is with ADSL - I guess it relies on a lot more people being being trained and au-fait with optical especially when it gets introduced into a new area and there are very few with the skills or expertise to sort it all out.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    241 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    ....and, if you don't mind me asking, 1) what sort of premium are you having to pay vs FTTC. 2) How much was the initial install price ?
    I ask because our "village" is currently being cabled up, with a view to at least 75% being FTTP "ready" by June 2021 but no-one will give me future prices, even ball park.

With most (and getting larger fast) FTTC/FTTP is now the same price...
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Advanced Line Rental + 80/20 BB and calls  works out at about £26 pm .
    No down time with FTTP install apart from OR time on the install .
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    425 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    A friend had a Virgin Media leaflet through his door a couple of years ago saying it was in their area but they hadn't laid the cables and he went without his BB for a few days and told Virgin where to stick it, he got an updated router for going back to the previous provider.
    Someone please tell me what money is