Help, unauthorised teenage spending on credit card

Options

Comments

• Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @Leon1971 You've had some harsh comments on this thread about your son and your parenting. It's hard being a parent, sometimes things go wrong. If someone had told you at some point in the past that this was a thing that might happen I'm sure you'd have taken steps to have prevented it one way or another. Not being able to see into the future doesn't make you a bad parent or your son a bad child. If it was me I'd be grovelling to the credit card company and appealing to the game.

I think sometimes kids don't quite understand that credit/debit cards are more than just a passkey to something that is wanted. There is a difference between knowingly stealing your hard earned cash and thinking he could type the number in like you do to unlock in-game extras. It's easier to follow rules if you understand why they are in place.

My kids have debit cards with their bank accounts (that can't go overdrawn) which Christmas and birthday money gets deposited into, then if they spend something they can see on the banking app that their money has gone. They are very aware they can only spend money once so think carefully about making a purchase. Would something like this make him understand better and less likely to 'borrow' your card again?
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My 2 pence.
    Double-check it was actually him making the purchases and that his account wasn't hacked. You would be prudent to get the card and card number stopped anyway.
    First port of call is the game publishers. Explain the situation. They may refund the money. (If they do they'll probably also ban DS from the game). But it seems like especially if it's a large sum they may refuse. Or the game publisher and the app store might each say you should speak to the other.
    If you get nowhere there, then contact the credit card provider informing them that the transactions were unauthorised. But considering it's a family member I reckon they won't do anything without police involvement. They may even get the police involved whether you like it or not.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without a crime number, your chance of a refund from your card provider is negligible, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some rather strong replies you have had to this OP.
    When my teenage daughter ran up a £500 bill on her mobile for in app purchases ( i was the bill payer) i simpley called the company concerned, told them she was 13, and that teenagers do stupid things, and they refunded the full amount immediatly.
    Perhaps a more conciliatory approach is worth a shot before you report him to the Gestapo.

most sensible answer
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why are some of the comments harsh? Many off us surf the internet off our phones and if information isn't put in the original post, it may not appear until after someone has posted and then reads back through the other comments.

OP originally asked what they can do and was given options. They then decided to say about the kid being on the spectrum when the opinions didn't were not what they wanted.

My opinion stays the same, maybe it it is harsh, but the kid will learn.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2020 at 9:20AM
    Options
    If it's obvious from the statement who the skins were bought from, then I would contact them and just say there are transactions that you do not recognize & ask if they can be refunded. If the transactions aren't obvious you could google what comes on the statement to see if that turns up the company name, failing that phone your credit card company and say you don't recognize the transactions and ask if they can tell you the company.
    You will have to decide how you answer if they ask if someone else in the house hold could have gotten hold of your card. It would have been better if the kid was denying it.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jami74 said:
    @Leon1971 You've had some harsh comments on this thread about your son and your parenting.
    I think sometimes kids don't quite understand that credit/debit cards are more than just a passkey to something that is wanted. There is a difference between knowingly stealing your hard earned cash and thinking he could type the number in like you do to unlock in-game extras. It's easier to follow rules if you understand why they are in place. 
    It's the OP who wrote about his son "he clearly disrespects us as parents, and yes we've failed miserably that he has most things and he still needs to steal and be dishonest" so not really unreasonable for other posters to take the view that the son did understand what he was doing.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback