Help, unauthorised teenage spending on credit card

Options

Comments

• D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    "My son is on the spectrum ADHD/Asperger's".  I can't believe some of the awful answers on here, I really do feel for your son. It's not his fault that your credit card was left lying around for him to use. You cannot possibly report this to the police, what an absolutely ridiculous suggestion! 
    I would first of all approach the credit card company and see if they can help. Those things you can get a refund for or sell, do that. Otherwise, this is a very expensive learning curve. But really, it's your fault, isn't it?
    Why can’t it be reported as fraud?
    It is...
  • jazzyja
    jazzyja Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    How much exactly? My son once bought a sofa on sims for £80. He was only 3. I did get a refund no problem! No harm trying. 

All these suggestions to get your son reported to the police or for fraud potentially ruining his future, i would strongly advise you dont do that. Theres other ways to punish him 
  • Leon1971
    Leon1971 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I don't need to state figures but it IS a lot of money. I jokingly said ' police' to my wife . I'm just in disbelief that  the credit card wouldn't be constantly ringing to ask about the transactions. To run up this size of bill in lockdown and not be asked. I don't know how much skins cost, but the amount of skins he would have to have purchased for this amount would surely ring alarm bells with credit card company
  • happy_hazelnuts
    happy_hazelnuts Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 July 2020 at 4:24PM
    Options
    You have 2 options here.

1. do nothing. you won't get your money back but your son won't get into trouble.

2. inform your credit card company you did not authorise these transactions and furthermore (if applicable) they were made by an under 18 year old (teenager). Unless they deem you grossly negligent then you are most likely to get a refund. However the police are then likely to get involved.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 July 2020 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Leon1971 said:
    To run up this size of bill in lockdown and not be asked.
    Lockdown would make it more likely to go through without question, rather than less likely. 

You have a nation sitting at home gaming, gambling and streaming all day long. Spending habits have changed. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,083 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 July 2020 at 4:32PM
    Options
    Some rather strong replies you have had to this OP.
    When my teenage daughter ran up a £500 bill on her mobile for in app purchases ( i was the bill payer) i simpley called the company concerned, told them she was 13, and that teenagers do stupid things, and they refunded the full amount immediatly.
    Perhaps a more conciliatory approach is worth a shot before you report him to the Gestapo.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    OP speak to the companies involved see what happens, ultimately the responsibility lies on you as it’s your card. Yes your child shouldn’t of done this but the situation stops with you let’s be honest. 

The mitigating circumstances mentioned ontop of just being a parent I think replies are being ridiculously harsh in contacting the Police. 

Doing so could have major consequences for both parties and you’d have to be prepared to deal with the fall out of those. 
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There seems to be no malicious intent here, so this is my take;

I personally wouldn't involve the police, it could have completely unintended consequences down the line for your son, having this on record.

I would try a gesture of goodwill from the game company / app store if that is involved / credit card company.

Otherwise the hard lessons that need to be learnt by your son, should be internal parental ones, e.g sell console / phone / other.
  • Leon1971
    Leon1971 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The police will not be involved, ( I wish they could give some sort of fear factor though, as he clearly disrespects us as parents, and yes we've failed miserably that he has most things and he still needs to steal and be dishonest)
    The companies will be contacted in the hope of being refunded the vast amounts he has spent. I said he is on the spectrum, he turns 16 in a couple of weeks and wish he could get a job to start paying some of this back, and himself have a life lesson on how long this would take on minimal earnings.
  • jjames1985
    jjames1985 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leon1971 said:
    Thanks for all your replies. I don't need to state figures but it IS a lot of money. I jokingly said ' police' to my wife . I'm just in disbelief that  the credit card wouldn't be constantly ringing to ask about the transactions. To run up this size of bill in lockdown and not be asked. I don't know how much skins cost, but the amount of skins he would have to have purchased for this amount would surely ring alarm bells with credit card company
    I'd be pretty cheesed off if my credit card company phoned me constantly to query my card transactions.  I'm sure most people would be the same. Hardly worth peeing off most of your customers to protect a few people who can't keep their cards out of their kids hands...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure