New Post Advanced Search

Slow cookers and slow cookery

73 replies 5K views

Replies

• balabooberliesbalabooberlies Forumite
    468 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
     Thank you from me too............had given up on slow cooking, think my mistake was over-filling it.  But now I find myself willing to attempt it again.

bala
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    74 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sorry I'm so late replying to you, life has been rather hectic here.
    I'm not sure that our ingredients overlap much but here goes.
    1 tsp olive oil, 1 medium onion sliced into thin rounds or half moons, 1 tbsp brown sugar (the darker the better the resulting flavour but any from light muscovado to dark brown molasses will do), 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, 250ml vegetable stock (I use half a kallo organic stock cube), 1 400g tin cannellini beans (drained and rinsed), 1 400g tin of butter beans (drained and rinsed), 50g frozen petit pois, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.  Heat the oil and then fry the onions until nicely softened and just beginning to brown then tip in all the other ingredients and stir well to combine and bring to a just bubbling boil on the hob, then move to the already warmed slow cooker to continue cooking. I'm not sure of the minimum time you need to leave it for as I always just leave it bubbling away all afternoon on low but I imagine that a couple of hours on high would be sufficient as all you really need is long enough for the tomatoes to cook. When it begins to smell good, give it another good stir and taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary and decide whether you're happy with the consistency, if you aren't either add more stock or leave the lid of the slow cooker off for it to reduce a bit. I like it with pitta bread or cous cous and carrots and tenderstem broccoli and sometimes have strong cheddar cheese in the bread too. If you like the combination of olive oil, onion, brown sugar, tomatoes, dijon mustard and paprika you can then play around with the stock, beans and peas part of the recipe to suit your own tastes, I've tried pinto, haricot and black beans which were all a success and sweetcorn instead of peas which was also good.
    I hope you find this useful and look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    822 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Here's me back to this thread with a quick question before I set to with the gammon.  Can somebody please explain why some recipes would have you covering your gammon joint with liquid in the slow cooker whereas other say to use just 100ml?  I can't see how the one with 100ml will cook without sticking to the crock, unless the idea is to kind-of steam it?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile