Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Slow cookers and slow cookery - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Slow cookers and slow cookery

73 replies 5.2K views

Replies

• NelskiNelski Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really don't need much at all as during the long cooking process all your ingredients will add their own water too during the cooking. You can add more if you want but there really isn't any need. If you want the liquid to be a sauce remember it won't thicken so you would have to thicken on the hob after cooking. I usually just add a splash of water and its ample. Enjoy it will be gorgeous
  • Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    885 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Nelski said:
    You really don't need much at all as during the long cooking process all your ingredients will add their own water too during the cooking. You can add more if you want but there really isn't any need.
    Cheers Nelski.  My Lady Wife (who normally does the cooking) has just requested that I aim for plain and simple cooked gammon with which we can do whatever the fancy takes her once it's cold, so to this end I'm leaping into the unknown by simply covering the thing with boiling water and slow-cooking it on "low" for however long it takes.  I might be really daring and add a quartered onion to the water, 'cos that's what a lot of recipes seem to insist on.  I have no idea why.

Covid-19 is not spreading. People are spreading Covid-19.
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please don't cover it with water, it will make the gammon very bland!  If you halve a couple of onions and place them in the bottom on the SC you can sit the gammon on it and then just add some water to cover the onions, this will be enough to cook the gammon, as you say it steams and should be really moist.

I actually like it cooked with some diet orange, like Tang*.  Gives it a nice sweeter than usual flavour.

However you do it, enjoy!

• edited 14 August at 8:14AM
    Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    885 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 8:14AM
    joedenise said:
    Please don't cover it with water, it will make the gammon very bland!
    Thanks ever so much for that, joedenise.  I was just about to sink it in water but what you say makes perfect sense to me, so it's now sitting quietly on a quartered onion in about half an inch of boiling water, heating up.  Once it gets simmering, I'll turn it down to low and have a poke at it in four hours or so to see how the patient's doing.  It's just over Ikg, by the way.
    I must say, this cooking lark's jolly interesting for an old git whose culinary repertoire pre-slow-cooker was limited to bread, scones (pronounced skoans) and a couple of varieties of bicuits :smile:
    PS I take it that if it looks like it's going to dry out of liquid, I just add some boiling water to bring it back to where it was?

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect the recipes that say cover the gammon think you're intending to use the liquid left over to make soup. If you only intend to cook the gammon a little bit of water is fine.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even with modern curing methods I would still bring it to the boil on the hob, and then throw away the water in order to reduce the salt before proceeding to cook it.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Clist said:
    joedenise said:
    Please don't cover it with water, it will make the gammon very bland!
    Thanks ever so much for that, joedenise.  I was just about to sink it in water but what you say makes perfect sense to me, so it's now sitting quietly on a quartered onion in about half an inch of boiling water, heating up.  Once it gets simmering, I'll turn it down to low and have a poke at it in four hours or so to see how the patient's doing.  It's just over Ikg, by the way.
    I must say, this cooking lark's jolly interesting for an old git whose culinary repertoire pre-slow-cooker was limited to bread, scones (pronounced skoans) and a couple of varieties of bicuits :smile:
    PS I take it that if it looks like it's going to dry out of liquid, I just add some boiling water to bring it back to where it was?

Yes, Si.  If it looks like it's going to dry out of liquid, add HOT water (boiling is fine).  Never add cold water to a hot slow cooker - that will cause the ceramic pot to crack from the shock.

- Pip

"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 51/66 coupons spent. 15 remain.
  • edited 14 August at 12:58PM
    Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    885 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 12:58PM
    Thank you one and all for sorting me out again.  I'm not quite sure how long it's had now, but it seems to be very tender when impaled by a fork, so I shall throw all caution to the wind and consider it done after another half hour for luck.  Then cool it and  bung it in the fridge so it's cold by teatime. 
    I must admit that I was surprised by the amount of liquid it produced.  Now I see why some of the recipes say only use 100ml of water ...
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Clist - I hope that you enjoy your gammon, I looked longingly at the gammon joints in the butchers this morning, but firmly told myself I must eat some of the food from the freezer first.
    Off topic for this thread, thank you for the recommendation for the dried egg, a nice large packet is now crammed into my Brexit/further lockdown/Winter stores.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)