PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow cookers and slow cookery

Comments

• missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lentils, split peas, barley and marrowfat peas don’t need rapid boiling first. Any that do, like kidney beans, wii tell you on the packet.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just found this thread "bookmarked" I have an extensive range of dried peas, beans, grains, herbs and spices, but tend to chuck whatever meat I have with whatever veg I have into the cooker and turn on, I do use a lot of thyme but the others get passed over, I often cook a gammon with red lentils, I find split peas can take a lot of cooking, carrots parsnips and onions, I also prefer my potatoes boiled, but don`t often eat potatoes. Will soak some marrowfat and try that tomorrow @missychrissy
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have struggled with split peas in previous SCs and had to soak them overnight beforehand to ensure they cooked well. However, in my present SC I prefer them not soaked overnight as it cooks them much better. I prefer my pease pudding with a bit of bite, cooked but not sloppy, otherwise that is soup, which is fine if that is what u want.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 July 2020 at 1:39PM
    Well, Morrison's order once again turned up this morning minus the brisket I ordered (does it really exist?), but at least they could manage the chicken thighs, so thanks to you lovely lot My First Slow Cooker Meal is now simmering away and the whole house smells of chicken casserole.  Hopefully I'll have that and the mashed taters just about ready for her when Madam returns from the hospital, so the only question now is this ...
    Assuming that we don't scoff the lot tonight, do I simply let the rest cool down in the slow cooker then bung it in some suitable container and freeze it, or what?
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2020 at 1:48PM
    Personally I’d shove it in the fridge to cool, and then either scoff it tomorrow or freeze for a future time.

And I think chicken was a better bet for your first sc meal as brisket/stewing beef takes longer. With chicken you can be spot on sure it will be ready when your wife gets back.

enjoy the meal (and the praise you will undoubtedly get).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you and your lady wife like plain food, I'd suggest savoury mince, You can eat it with new potatoes and veg, pour over a jacket potato  or put it in a dish and add mash to make a cottage pie (reheat in the oven). 

My recipe has lots of added chopped veg to stretch the meat out and make more portions but I'd say that except for the onion most of the veg are optional.

Put these in the SC for about 6 hours. I'd start on high and turn it to low when it's bubbling. It can stay on for longer. I'd make it one day and eat the next as it tastes better. You'll need 500g mince (I like 5% fat), 2 onions, 3 carrots, 2 garlic cloves (optional), 2 medium potatoes, 200g mushrooms, cup of frozen peas (these will lose colour but taste fine), 5 Oxo or other beef stock cube, 800 ml of hot water, 5 tbsps of tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste. 

Incidentally, if you did fancy a recipe with wine in it, Tesco do excellent own brand wine stock pots. I might add one to the mince. :wink:
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thank you for letting us know how you got on with the slow cooker.  It can be frustrating sometimes when people ask for help and then don't ever post again.  Good luck with whatever you attempt next.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback