New Post Advanced Search

Phone, tv and broadband

10 replies 137 views
booterbooter Forumite
1.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
✭✭✭
Please bear with me - particularly fluffy today!
I have been with VM for years, now and again renegotiating deals.  I now pay £42.90 for a tv package that they tell me no longer exists (but it's the most basic), m100 fibre broadband and talk more evening and weekends. I phoned retentions to renegotiate - they offered an "amazing" deal - £56 for the same package 🙄 I've put in my 30 day notice. 
Now I'm stumped. I have no aerial, so rely on the tivo box for freeview. I watch the freeview channels and other channels on my package and am happy enough with the basics, but I pause and record a fair bit.  I don't download or stream much. The last bt landline I had was in 1999, the outside box has "Telewest" on it (!), no wire from the pole, (cable only). But I'd like to keep a landline. 
I have no clue what to do next! Is this going to cost a fortune to set up something else? And how do I go about it? Can anyone help please?

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It only "no longer exists" to new customers, nothing to stop you staying on it if you wanted to.

Bulk of your questions follow the same format at this post re: moving from Virgin to BT, so have a look at this:

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telewest is not BT its the old  what is now VM box .
    No airiel then VM probably best or Sky .
    Stick your post code in the mse deals checker and see if any other services .

• booterbooter Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It only "no longer exists" to new customers, nothing to stop you staying on it if you wanted to.

Bulk of your questions follow the same format at this post re: moving from Virgin to BT, so have a look at this:

Thanks for your reply. I did look at that thread, but didn't see any answers for me!😊 
    E.g. do I need a new bt line and/or aerial and how to go about getting one (or what it may cost)? I'm not even sure other providers supply something like a Tivo box!? I can't find info on whether new suppliers use existing cable supply or some other method of supply (if that makes sense?!)

• booterbooter Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan said:

No, I'm aware of this. I've put my postcode into the deal checker but apart from a note saying I'd need a new bt connection (?) it didn't tell me which suppliers provide what equipment or if I would need additional works/equipment. I'd hate to sign up for something and find out only on connection day that I have to fork out another couple of hundred quid to get it to work!
    I guess I just don't know how it works!🙄
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Key here is if you have a BT OR phone line to the house .
    Suppliers supply a router  and possible a new Bt OR master Socket if required.
  • Mags28Mags28 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    I changed Broadband and phone line provider yesterday from BT to John Lewis. It's due to change on 15th July. I've been watching Prime on my TV for weeks. Should I be suspicious that I'm now unable to watch Prime because my broadband is now too slow! 
  • edited 3 July at 2:31PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July at 2:31PM
    Why should it be to slow ??
    It will be your end not BT .

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan said:

PS JL is resold Talk Talk .

Plusnet actually.
    The Post Office is resold TalkTalk.
    16.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lockdown Loopy
  • iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    booter said:
    JJ_Egan said:

No, I'm aware of this. I've put my postcode into the deal checker but apart from a note saying I'd need a new bt connection (?) it didn't tell me which suppliers provide what equipment or if I would need additional works/equipment. I'd hate to sign up for something and find out only on connection day that I have to fork out another couple of hundred quid to get it to work!
    I guess I just don't know how it works!🙄
    If the property had ‘BT’ line in the past , then chances are it will be ‘reinstalled’ ,  the amount of work needed is irrelevant, if there isn’t a stopped line ( and given the 20 years since a BT type service ) an installer visit most likely will be needed.
    If you order line , broadband and TV service, then usually the equipment is delivered before the install date for the line...you probably have to set it up yourself once the line is in and working, the OR engineer may help it up but that probably depends on what the ISP pays OR for, if they go for a super cheap install, the engineer may only confirm dialtone at the socket, the rest would be up to you.
    Unless you use Sky , you need an aerial, some providers will arrange a ‘cheap’ aerial install as part of the deal, Sky will fit a dish if you take a suitable TV pack for a longish minimum term , but as you say you only want basic TV so probably not a good choice.