New Post Advanced Search

Replacing a washer on a tap

24 replies 533 views
Hi, I have a seriously annoying dripping tap which is getting worse. I have included some pictures.
I need to replace the washer. Has anyone came across these sorts of taps.  as you can see from the picture the bath has been tiled in so I cannot get access to underneath without taking the tiles off - which would be a complete pain. Do you think the silver full unit will pull off if I use some brute force or do you think it will be screwed in fro underneath? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure you'll be able to extract the valve after removing the handle covering it. Look for some hidden screw holding the handle.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a plumber but don't think that'll be a washer, more like ceramic disk. Right pain sometimes the whole tap has to be replaced.
  • PierremontQuaker03PierremontQuaker03 Forumite
    201 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I don't mind replacing the whole tap if it means I don't have to touch the tiles!
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're replacing the taps the bath will have to come out.
    That's the "joy" of having the taps there.
    If they're quarter turn taps, then as said it'll be ceramic type.
    Screwfix do some
    https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/reviver-kits-tap-spares/cat820108?modelname=ceramic_tap_glands
    but if the taps are a decent make you may be able to get spares.
    Removing the knobs will be a matter of either a straight pull up, or as already said there may be a grub screw, probably allen headed at the rear. Or somewhere. Make sure you have the right size key.
    Don't use excessive force, and try not to mark the chrome.

201 posts
    ✭✭
    Jackmydad said:
    If you're replacing the taps the bath will have to come out.
    That's the "joy" of having the taps there.
    If they're quarter turn taps, then as said it'll be ceramic type.
    Screwfix do some
    https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/reviver-kits-tap-spares/cat820108?modelname=ceramic_tap_glands
    but if the taps are a decent make you may be able to get spares.
    Removing the knobs will be a matter of either a straight pull up, or as already said there may be a grub screw, probably allen headed at the rear. Or somewhere. Make sure you have the right size key.
    Don't use excessive force, and try not to mark the chrome.

Yes they are quarter turn taps.  The tap itself feels quite loose you can move it from side to side which hopefully means it will come out quite easily. Thanks I'll take a look.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    373 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes they are quarter turn taps.  The tap itself feels quite loose you can move it from side to side which hopefully means it will come out quite easily. Thanks I'll take a look.
    If you visit the store where they are sold, you will be able to examining them and look for the retaining screw or see how it pulls off.

• edited 2 July at 1:00PM
    GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 July at 1:00PM
    You probably won’t be able to get a replacement ceramic valve immediately, but you can usually make do with a washer type complete tap head as a stopgap. Best to get one in before doing anything else.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-bathroom-basin-contract-tap-reviver-kit/12204

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    201 posts
    ✭✭
    yes I cannot find this exact model anywhere tor me to know what parts I need
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will be able to get a new ceramic cartridge, but you cannot match it up until you extract the old one. Things like the number of splines vary. 
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tap handles are probably a push fit, by the way.