PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Had an offer... but...

Our house is on for 190k, we have received an offer of 180k, I rejected it as wanted closer to asking price, so asked for £187k expecting they would counter with £185k which I would have accepted... however, they didnt and said £183500.
They said they need to go into renting, because their completion date is at the start of August, but would offer us £187k if we could complete by then, we simply cant do that as the house we are buying have not found somewhere yet and we cant afford to go into renting.
This says to me they can afford £187k, but are not offering it, so they have more money to rent.
I dont know what to make of it, I dont want to squabble over £1.5k, as we can afford the mortgage on the new place with that added, but id rather not! We dont want to lose this sale as we know its unlikely to fall through (because their completion date is already set) and they love the house and offered within an hour of viewing, but we do have another viewer this weekend which may offer as well.

What would you do?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's a really good offer, if you can definitely afford to, I'd take it :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • I'd just take it. You answer the question yourself really.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    A bird in the hand...... and in the current economic climate?  Hmmmm, now let me see.... :*
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As a seller you're not in a great position, how long might it be until the people you want to buy from find a place they like (and then what might be the chain above that?).

If your buyers are willing to rent until your chain is complete that could be worth a lot.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Scythi said:
    This says to me they can afford £187k, but are not offering it, so they have more money to rent.
    PS it really doesn't matter what they can afford, it's what they're willing to pay for your property under the terms agreed.

It's why some buyers are often reluctant to let an EA know their affordability as they think they may be pushed up, whereas more experienced buyers may be able to say it doesn't matter what they can afford, their offer reflects the property and situation.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't think I would squabble over £1500. It is a sound offer from people who will be in a position to move quickly once their sale has gone through in August.
  • blue_max_3
    blue_max_3 Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could counter for £185k. Though you may lose them.
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Jeepers_Creepers Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think the buyer's explanation is reasonable, and the sum in question not very significant; as above, under normal circumstances, I'd be inclined to accept it*.

They are going to be 'homeless' at the start of August, and they have no idea when your house will be available since you haven't even found your new home yet. They seemingly anticipate having to rent for a while, so it seems quite reasonable for them to be reluctant to pay more for your house as this contingency will soon disappear. That's not your problem, but I'm just saying it seems a valid enough reason.

Have you any idea how long it could be before you find your next home? How 'fussy' are you?! Are you looking for something rare, or a house type that should be easily available given a shortish time of looking?

*Having said that, they haven't met your revised asking price, and you have yet to accept their offer. On that basis, if I'm honest, I think I'd be inclined to see what position the weekend viewer is in before making a final decision. It could be that they are not on such a tight schedule, which could ease the pressure for you somewhat.

• pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Renting has costs associated (another move, the rent itself, hassle moving utilities etc and paying over the odds for 1 month rolling contracts...) so if they're close to the wire, they may genuinely be able to afford £187k if you can tie in with their date, but not if they have to go renting.  Either way, if I was the buyer I'd be factoring that cost in. 

£3.5k is probably on the low side of what that'll cost in my head, and I guess you know that as you say you can't afford to go renting to get the additional £3.5k, so probably it's a realistic reduction given the circumstances...?

• Scythi
    Scythi Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the buyer's explanation is reasonable, and the sum in question not very significant; as above, under normal circumstances, I'd be inclined to accept it*.

They are going to be 'homeless' at the start of August, and they have no idea when your house will be available since you haven't even found your new home yet. They seemingly anticipate having to rent for a while, so it seems quite reasonable for them to be reluctant to pay more for your house as this contingency will soon disappear. That's not your problem, but I'm just saying it seems a valid enough reason.

Have you any idea how long it could be before you find your next home? How 'fussy' are you?! Are you looking for something rare, or a house type that should be easily available given a shortish time of looking?

*Having said that, they haven't met your revised asking price, and you have yet to accept their offer. On that basis, if I'm honest, I think I'd be inclined to see what position the weekend viewer is in before making a final decision. It could be that they are not on such a tight schedule, which could ease the pressure for you somewhat.

We have found our next home and the offer has been accepted on it, however our vendors have not found anywhere yet, we have asked if it would be at all possible for us to move in at the start of August, but highly doubt we will be able to, we are still pushing our buyers for 185, we will only take it off the market and not do the weekend viewing for 187.

We are still not sure what to do, as we want 185, but dont want to lose the security of this sale.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback