PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy to Let Property

Options

Comments

• Miranda25
    Miranda25 Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    52.8 sq mt. Says so on the floor plan 
    No, I am talking about another. Look at this flat again- the same flat advertised at different price and difference £46k :-) 
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-92563841.html
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-92038580.html
    Yes, they said apartment 27 and apartment 11 but I don't believe them as pictures are the same and view from the window is the same and even floor the same :-) That's why they removed floor plan from one of the advertisement and didn't mention any figures on another ad- just to confuse us? So you cannot trust estate agents in England?

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miranda25 said:
     So you cannot trust estate agents?
    It seems to be a commonly-held view.  They hide behind the fact you will view the property and therefore can see anything that was an error in the particulars.
  • Miranda25
    Options
    Miranda25 said:
     So you cannot trust estate agents?
    It seems to be a commonly-held view.  They hide behind the fact you will view the property and therefore can see anything that was an error in the particulars.
    No, it is not transposition error. It is £46k. It can be done deliberately.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course it could be done deliberately.  It is still an error (= inaccuracy) in the property listing and the EA can still hide behind the waffly catch all at the bottom of the sheet.  No way to prove intent with a business so happy to accept incompetent.
  • FirstTimeSolo
    FirstTimeSolo Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Miranda25 said:
    52.8 sq mt. Says so on the floor plan 
    No, I am talking about another. Look at this flat again- the same flat advertised at different price and difference £46k :-) 
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-92563841.html
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-92038580.html
    Yes, they said apartment 27 and apartment 11 but I don't believe them as pictures are the same and view from the window is the same and even floor the same :-) That's why they removed floor plan from one of the advertisement and didn't mention any figures on another ad- just to confuse us? So you cannot trust estate agents in England?

The images are of a show flat and not the actual flats. Hence same images for different properties within the same building. 
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 July 2020 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Miranda25 said:
    AnotherJoe,
    In terms of flats: what do you think is less versatile when property prices are falling- studio, 1-bedroom flat, 2-bedroom flat (outside London)? 
    What might be easier to sell in the future- maisonette (flat with garden) or new build flat (which will not be new in 5 years time)?
    It is not a financial strategy:-) It might be my own property. Thanks.

2 bed outside London / maisonette (with garden). Not newbuild.
    With a new build unless prices rise you are likely on to a loser. Its not just that they lose the patina of being shiny and new, you lose all the offers that builders and govt throw at new builds so your price has to drop to match that.
    Friends of mine hit this selling a house, very nice house, modernised good garden but new houses nearby (with smaller gardens more overlooked *and* maintenance charges) had lots of offers for buyers - HTB, builders offering legal and SDLT etc, they had to drop what was a 350k house to 300k when the new estates shot up. In 5 years time that will have been a great buy for whoever bought it, because all other things being equal it will be back to 350 again.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going back to Reading another area most people would choose to avoid is Whitley.  I think Crossrail/ Elizabeth line increasing prices in Reading is estate agents trying to talk up vales.  Most sensible people would get a fast 25 minute train to Paddington and then change rather than endure an hour on the slow Crossrail teain.  I'm sure it will have an effect on prices in places like Twyford and Maidenhead where the extension through London will make commuter journeys more attractive.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I live near Reading. If you consider a move to Whitley, first pop into JD Sports in the town centre,  buy a decent pair of trainers, put them on, lace them up tightly and run away very quickly.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I live near Reading. If you consider a move to Whitley, first pop into JD Sports in the town centre,  buy a decent pair of trainers, put them on, lace them up tightly and run away very quickly.

LOL! Is the infamous 'Whitley Whiff' still around ?
  • Miranda25
    Options
    Just a thought:
    Let's say I buy HTB property and live there 2 days per week (eg. weekends). I take a lodger who lives there 7 days per week. 
    Would he/she still be a lodger not a tenant? Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback