Buy to Let Property

Replies

• Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    Plus, should the unforeseen happen and you ever need to rent the property in Milton Keynes, rental yields (%) are far higher than in other parts of the SE. :)
    Do you think rental yields (%) are higher than in Kent or Surrey?
    Do you know anybody who would commute from MK to London and they are fine with it?
    I think the rental yields are better in MK than Kent or Surrey, but you would have to look into it further to investigate and satisfy yourself as I have never directly compared.  I know the rental yields in MK are better than the nice outer London suburbs.

I do not personally know anybody that commutes from MK to London.  But under an hour on the train can't be that bad and there must be a lot of people who do - if you are lucky there'll be one stumble on this thread and comment.

@jumperabv3 has given some good advice.  If you are considering his locations, then Reading would be preferable to Bracknell simply because the rail links are so much better.
  • jumperabv3jumperabv3 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    Jumperabv3,
    Have you ever considered for investment Kent but not north Kent (Dartford, Gravesend)? I am talking about Sevenoaks, Turnbridge Wells, Maidstone and further? Have you ever thought about seaside towns?
    Now I live in Bromley and really like it here. Thanks :-)
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with these places.
    I have 2 BTL properties, one in Wanstead (London) and now one in Reading.
    The one in Wanstead has been solid since 2012 but the yields are quite low, the one in Reading produces better yields and I think the 'risk' is pretty much the same in both locations.
  • Miranda25Miranda25 Forumite
    232 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    Jumperabv3,
    Have you ever considered for investment Kent but not north Kent (Dartford, Gravesend)? I am talking about Sevenoaks, Turnbridge Wells, Maidstone and further? Have you ever thought about seaside towns?
    Now I live in Bromley and really like it here. Thanks :-)
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with these places.
    I have 2 BTL properties, one in Wanstead (London) and now one in Reading.
    The one in Wanstead has been solid since 2012 but the yields are quite low, the one in Reading produces better yields and I think the 'risk' is pretty much the same in both locations.
    Many thanks for your input. If it is fine, I will come back to you if I need to clarify something on Reading :-)
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weren't any of the areas recommended in your other thread any good?

Have you actually viewed anything yet or walked round areas?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6156960/buying-in-south-east-or-south-london/p1
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
    232 Posts
    ✭✭
    hazyjo said:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6156960/buying-in-south-east-or-south-london/p1
    Hazyjo,
    I still cannot make my mind- to buy a flat in London or bigger flat-house (with garden) outside London. I have exams in September, so will start to view areas after exams. Thanks.
    232 Posts
    ✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    hazyjo said:

Hazyjo,
    I still cannot make my mind- to buy a flat in London or bigger flat-house (with garden) outside London. I have exams in September, so will start to view areas after exams. Thanks.
    Hazyjo,
    Another thing is I am still waiting for if somebody can comment on areas like Sevenoaks/ Tonbridge/ Tunbridge Wells/ Ashford and further seaside towns (as first I thought to look at those areas for living there and later as investment).
    I liked comments about Reading and Milton Keynes (and MK has a large community of people who speaks my language and I had no idea about it, so thank you to Grumpy_chap).
    Thank you.
    232 Posts
    ✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    Have you done a search in south croydon? There are some HTB properties there that are not over priced and in line with other similar older flats on sale in the area. 
    Do you think Croydon is safe? Do you live there?
    No I don’t live there but I have friends who do and I have considered it for buying a property myself. I have never felt unsafe when I visit. South Croydon is Residential but has lots of restaurants and close to high street shops. 
    East Croydon is also close to shops, Boxpark right by the station and lots of fast trains.
    If you are serious about buying then you should go visit the streets/ areas where suitable properties are located. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67379325.html
    For example, I can afford this property but it is on the market for 6 months. Why nobody wants it in Greater London where people always looking for to buy properties?
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    Miranda25 said:
    hazyjo said:

Hazyjo,
    Hazyjo,
    Another thing is I am still waiting for if somebody can comment on areas like Sevenoaks/ Tonbridge/ Tunbridge Wells/ Ashford and further seaside towns (as first I thought to look at those areas for living there and later as investment).
    I liked comments about Reading and Milton Keynes (and MK has a large community of people who speaks my language and I had no idea about it, so thank you to Grumpy_chap).
    Thank you.
    They're lovely areas. I nearly bought in Tunbridge Wells.

I would think Sevenoaks would be a bit more desirable than Tunbridge Wells as nearer London, then Tonbridge, then Ashford.
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miranda25 said:
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67379325.html
    For example, I can afford this property but it is on the market for 6 months. Why nobody wants it in Greater London where people always looking for to buy properties?
    Given the events of the past six months, being on the market for 6 months is maybe not exceptional.  There will have been 3 slow winter months and then 3 months of lock-down.  Your question is a valid one though, and there could be high service charges or something that makes an impact.

@hazyjo= I am not well versed on the Kent commuter towns, but does Ashford push higher up the desireability league because of the high speed rail links to both London, Paris and Brussels?  Maybe the cost of using that is prohibitive and negates the benefit.  I would also have though that Maidstone needs to be a consideration for Kent commuter towns?
    232 Posts
    ✭✭
    hazyjo said:
    Miranda25 said:
    Miranda25 said:
    hazyjo said:

Hazyjo,
    Hazyjo,
    Thank you.
    They're lovely areas. I nearly bought in Tunbridge Wells.

I would think Sevenoaks would be a bit more desirable than Tunbridge Wells as nearer London, then Tonbridge, then Ashford.
    Hazyjo,
    Why do you think Ashford is more desirable than Tunbridge Wells? 
    I thought about Ashford, they have a lot of new properties there. Then I looked at yearly travel card to London.... and it stopped me and I came back to the forum :-)
    Sevenoaks would be ideal for me but it is expensive and I scare to go into shared ownership.