Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

HELP!! Email hacked, then eBay hacked and Rolex bought in my name - now Paypal say they can't help? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

HELP!! Email hacked, then eBay hacked and Rolex bought in my name - now Paypal say they can't help?

34 replies 1.3K views

Replies

• BristolBoy33BristolBoy33 Forumite
    13 posts
    10 Posts
    That sounds hopeful.

Possibly the signature would matter, as the watch was £3500.  But as the address clearly isn't mine, and neither is the "signature", then providing Paypal accept my word, or check with Royal Mail, then I may be in with a chance.

Fingers crossed!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds hopeful.

Possibly the signature would matter, as the watch was £3500.  But as the address clearly isn't mine, and neither is the "signature", then providing Paypal accept my word, or check with Royal Mail, then I may be in with a chance.

Fingers crossed!
    Whoops sorry, I forgot the value of this one, I would speak with PayPal again explain that the transaction was not yours and tracking shows item was not delivered anywhere near you. Ask them for advice and make sure they understand that tracking clearly shows the wrong delivery area and your case will hinge on that . Ideally you want them to understand and acknowledge that your complaint is that you neither ordered this item nor received it and if an INR is the only way to get your money back then that’s what you will do. 

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    13 posts
    10 Posts
    Let's see what they come back with - hopefully tomorrow.  If necessary I'll play it the way you suggest.  Thanks again!
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

"The confusing thing here is that there is the issue that the address in paypal was left unchanged - yet parcel was diverted and that is an entirely different scenario which suggests this scam goes further than perhaps the OP has intimated.
    As it stands there are possibly two scams going on here and that might be why the bank and paypal are reluctant to see the scam."

I can't get my head round how the parcel was diverted.  The RM tracking shows that when it left the PO in Kent it went up to Gatwick, then to central London, then up to North London where it was delivered.  Surely it must have had the North London address on it (not my address) when it was dropped off at the PO in Kent?  So how come eBay and Paypal both show my address? Could it be the seller was in cahoots with the person in North London?  Maybe eBay and Paypal always had my correct address, but the seller manually put the North London address on the parcel before they despatched it?

Could the scammer/hacker have changed the address, then changed it back, during the time you didn't have access? If they used their own address it would be a bit stupid to leave it there on your account for you to easily track them down. The fact you had to do some digging to find the transaction may indicate that their intention was for you not to find it and therefore not be able to track where the parcel went at all. Just a thought.
    66.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

"The confusing thing here is that there is the issue that the address in paypal was left unchanged - yet parcel was diverted and that is an entirely different scenario which suggests this scam goes further than perhaps the OP has intimated.
    As it stands there are possibly two scams going on here and that might be why the bank and paypal are reluctant to see the scam."

I can't get my head round how the parcel was diverted.  The RM tracking shows that when it left the PO in Kent it went up to Gatwick, then to central London, then up to North London where it was delivered.  Surely it must have had the North London address on it (not my address) when it was dropped off at the PO in Kent?  So how come eBay and Paypal both show my address? Could it be the seller was in cahoots with the person in North London?  Maybe eBay and Paypal always had my correct address, but the seller manually put the North London address on the parcel before they despatched it?

Could the scammer/hacker have changed the address, then changed it back, during the time you didn't have access? If they used their own address it would be a bit stupid to leave it there on your account for you to easily track them down. The fact you had to do some digging to find the transaction may indicate that their intention was for you not to find it and therefore not be able to track where the parcel went at all. Just a thought.
    The original address used will show against the transaction though and I have asked , but the OP has not confirmed, whether they have checked the address used on PayPal and NOT eBay. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • jjames1985jjames1985 Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    That sounds hopeful.

Fingers crossed!
    Aren't RM currently signing parcels on behalf of the recipients due to Coronavirus?  I haven't checked any of the signatures on items I've received since lockdown but I've certainly not been required to sign for anything from anyone, RM or anyone else.

So I'm not sure "it's not my signature" is going to work here. Under current circumstances, I don't think it would be even if it was actually delivered to your house.
    13 posts
    10 Posts
    Soolin:

My address on Paypal wasn't changed - it's still my home address - I confirmed this yesterday:

Hello soolin and throwaway3000,
    I referred the case to Action Fraud, then a few hours later rang the Police about it and they referred me to Action Fraud!!  I've also heard that AF are useless.
    The delivery address currently showing Paypal is my home address.

jjjames1985:
    You're probably right about the signature.  I suppose the weird 'scratchings' in the signature field on the RM Tracking could just be the postman putting his mark on it to satisfy their internal systems?  I think I'm going to be relying on the fact that tracking shows it was delivered to a completely different area, 150 miles away from my home address.
    66.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Soolin:

My address on Paypal wasn't changed - it's still my home address - I confirmed this yesterday:

Hello soolin and throwaway3000,
    I referred the case to Action Fraud, then a few hours later rang the Police about it and they referred me to Action Fraud!!  I've also heard that AF are useless.
    The delivery address currently showing Paypal is my home address.

jjjames1985:
    You're probably right about the signature.  I suppose the weird 'scratchings' in the signature field on the RM Tracking could just be the postman putting his mark on it to satisfy their internal systems?  I think I'm going to be relying on the fact that tracking shows it was delivered to a completely different area, 150 miles away from my home address.
    Your address might be ‘currently’ showing as your address but have you definitely checked the transaction details of the watch to make sure a different address wasn’t used? I have several addresses in PayPal and eBay, my default address is my current home but I also have enabled my sons addresses and still have my late mpther’s address there as well and I can do more at checkout if I choose.

if the transaction shows your current address and item delivery shows a delivery office elsewhere then you will win an INR but will need to be proactive and insist PayPal review your proof that address and tracking don’t match. 
    New to Forum? Guide
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds hopeful.

Fingers crossed!
    The signature is moot as nobody has been asked for signatures during most of the COVID lockdown
  • Hi BristolBoy, I've read through the thread but forgive me if I've missed anything:
    Have you contacted the seller? Even if the scammer has managed to remove sale details from your ebay history, seller will almost certainly have left feedback. Sounds like the type of delivery included insurance and postal service may be willing to give seller the address that it went to since, from the seller's point of view, the item has not reached the address (yours) intended.
    Also, you've checked your computer's security but have you ever logged into ebay using your mobile? 
    Keep the pressure on the police to investigate and consider going to the media with this. You are not the only buyer who to put their trust in ebay and paypal. I would imagine that very few haven't got their ebay and paypal accounts linked and the publicity could shame the the companies into action. Be careful with the facts if you do this. 
    Also, this may sound odd but, do you have a nectar card? If you have, is it linked to your ebay account and have any changes been made to that, eg. new card ordered, address changed? 
    Wishing you the best of luck with this and don't give up!