Forum Home» Motoring

Electric cars, VED and would you change yet ?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Electric cars, VED and would you change yet ?

edited 29 June at 9:14PM in Motoring
26 replies 753 views
Mgman1965Mgman1965 Forumite
178 posts
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 29 June at 9:14PM in Motoring
Local radio phone in about this, some said yes, many said no,.

The No's mainly said because nowhere off-road for them to charge, lack of infrastructure, how much more than equivalent petrol,  lack of second-hand models, and expensive servicing and repairs as very few independent garages will touch them so main dealer only for everything.

The yes's, more Eco-friendly (debatable), cheaper to run.

They are cheaper to run, for now !!!!!!!!!!!

Thing is, as the change quickens, and income from VED starts dropping off along with fuel duty the govt will have to make it up.

OH said they will then start to put VED on previously free electric cars (and will be high as no way they can separately "tax" electricity for road use like petrol or diesel).

Surprisingly, some said they felt electric will not endure, as hydrogen will be the way forward in the not so distant future.

Replies

• daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    With so few main stream manufacturers producing purely electric vehicles I wonder if they see it as the future.

How can BMW spend millions developing the new e-Mini and end up with a range of just 90 miles?
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    639 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Mgman1965 said:
    Thing is, as the change quickens, and income from VED starts dropping off along with fuel duty the govt will have to make it up.
    I have always said, VAT on domestic electricity is too low, because generating electricity with coal and oil is bad for the environment too.

• Mgman1965Mgman1965 Forumite
    178 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    It also came up that in cold weather, range can drop considerably when using battery powered heating and demisting and lights a lot more.

It will also mean effectively the end of towing and caravanning, again due to range reduction and many are not type approved for towing.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    639 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    daveyjp said:
    How can BMW spend millions developing the new e-Mini and end up with a range of just 90 miles?
    90 miles would be ok for most journies, but the worrying thing, if they are saying 90 miles, how many miles will it be when the battery is a couple of years old and cold weather. I rarely do more than 90 miles, but is you half that, I come close quite often.
    I can see the sense in hybrid electric vehicles.

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    34K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always said, VAT on domestic electricity is too low, because generating electricity with coal and oil is bad for the environment too.
    Virtually zero electricity is generated from coal or oil.
    Gas? Yes. But coal and oil, no.
    https://gridwatch.co.uk/
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    12.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daveyjp said:
    With so few main stream manufacturers producing purely electric vehicles I wonder if they see it as the future.
    I thought most marques had pure EV's now and were throwing their R&D into electric?
    Most still have a line of combustion cars but that EV:Combustion ratio will change over time.
    daveyjp said:
    Cost, weight and handling. They could make one that'd do 400 miles but it'd be very heavy and very expensive.
    90 miles doesn't sound like much but it's actually plenty for most drivers usage pattern. Average mileage is something like 15 miles per day.

Mgman1965 said:
    It will also mean effectively the end of towing and caravanning, again due to range reduction and many are not type approved for towing.
    That'll come in time, EV's should in theory be great for towing due to the torque delivery.

• PetriixPetriix Forumite
    545 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    EVs are awesome. But they're still stupidly expensive. You can gamble on a second hand 30kWh Leaf at around £10k. It should do about 100 miles real world range and cost about 3p/mile in electric. But...you'd have no warranty and a lot of very expensive components which could fail at any time.

For around £18k you could get a 40kwh Leaf or maybe a battery owned Zoe with more like 130 miles range. You'd still have some warranty so less of a gamble.

The strange thing with EVs is that they haven't been depreciating much over the last couple of years as increasing demand coupled with very limited supply has kept prices high. However, as more cars hit the market with closer to 200 miles range, shorter range cars will be less appealing.

Personally I'm waiting for the stars to align in terms of having the finances in place and the right vehicle hitting the market; hopefully with some kind of massive new grant or scrappage scheme. I've got fantasies of the new VW electric camper. Now I just need them to actually produce it and to inherit £50k.

Probably more likely is the MG estate supposedly coming later this year for around £20k. For now I'm hanging on to the 15 year old diesel.
  • edited 30 June at 5:48AM
    gzoomgzoom Forumite
    455 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 30 June at 5:48AM
    Mgman1965 said:
    Surprisingly, some said they felt electric will not endure, as hydrogen will be the way forward in the not so distant future.
    In the mean time I've been driving EVs since 2015, 60k miles covered now, with a fuel cost of 2p per mile, £0 VED, and virtually no servicing costs.
  • billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    497 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I am collecting my new car tomorrow. I seriously considered an EV but it's a couple of years too early for me for all the negative reasons stated here already. 

The government will need the tax still so some kind of levy will definetly come in at some point. 
    EVs are still overpriced compared to their fossil burning brethren. Costs are cut in interior quality I don't care what anyone says. 
    Headline range is just about livable with for some Teslas and the upcoming VW ID and Polestar, unfortunately we all know that those figures fall off a cliff in winter with the heating on etc. 
    Another 3/5 years and the car industry will have decided once and for all which way to go. It will be hydrogen for what it's worth. 

In the meantime i will go and collect my 3 litre turbo BMW....
  • edited 30 June at 6:46AM
    GoudyGoudy Forumite
    439 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 30 June at 6:46AM
    Mgman1965 said:
    I too think that the battery powered electric car might be traveling down a blind alley.
    It seems the rush to have one in a manufacturers line up is a result of legislation regarding group emissions and the E-Mini is an example. Stick it in the line up and it brings down the manufacturers overall emissions for it's range of products and when topping out at 90 miles range at best, it isn't really a viable choice for most.

Ok, most owners might average less per day, I certainly do 4 or 5 days of the week but the other 2 would see me have to charge it 3 or 4 times a day. Two of those might be over night, but the other 4 to 6 is going to eat into my time and on a long trip (with a bit of range/charge point location anxiety) it could easily turn into a bad weekend.  

That's not just me, most car owners are so used to the flexibility in range of petrol/diesel powered cars that changing to a battery electric is just too much of a comprise at present. 
    It might not be in future but it seems the charging infrastructure at the moment isn't as profitable/taxable as petrol/diesel so the money needed for it to increase just isn't there and the development of batteries/motors comes at a massive cost a lot of people just can't afford.

Hydrogen might be the answer, it's abundant, it's the most common element in the universe, trouble is it's really sticky so tends to be stuck to something else. Splitting it off at the moment requires a great deal of effort in the form of energy.
    At present it's performed by either a thermochemical or electrolytic processes, both names give the game away, electro and thermo. Something needs to generate the electricity or the heat to process the stuff. both of course have their own emissions problems and problems with energy balance doesn't bear well at the moment (more energy to process that you get/make out of it)

There is a lot of work going into different processing techniques, particularly photoelectrochemical and photobiological which use solar energy. It's early yet but the hope is to be able to process with clean free energy if they can scale up these processes.

We might be at the VHS - Betamax moment of car production.