New Post Advanced Search

Upkeep of property. Who's Responsible?

6 replies 570 views
portlandboyportlandboy Forumite
287 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
Last summer new people moved into the house that backs on to ours, garden to garden. They had a 2mtr high fence constructed all around their garden, but left about a foot of their land outside of their fence. It needs to be weeded, which we have done until now.
Today, while I was doing some DIY in our garden, the neighbour shouted through the fence, firstly asking whether I was touching their fence but then climbed up with her phone ready to take pictures and started shouting about the strip of land being hers and that if I touched it or the fence it would be criminal damage!
I explained that we had done no damage and asked her how she intended to look after the area, weeding etc. She pointed out that she can't get over to look after the strip and says she has no obligation to stop the weeds encroaching onto our garden and we mustn't touch them!
So, the question really is, can we charge her for our time and expense (weedkiller etc) or can we force her to look after it?
Ultimately, I'd prefer to look after it and not have her complaining about us trespassing on this small strip of land or touching her fence.
This is like the Gazza Strip all over again!

:EasterBun
Portlandboy ...likes chocolate, hates rabb...

Note to Self: When posting, remember to keep within "forum rules" to avoid upsetting other "interested parties"

Replies

• edited 7 July at 6:40PM
    onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 July at 6:40PM
    Bonkers, but I agree, put up your own fence and let her precious weeds thrive in the gap. 

Less said about Gazza and stripping the better. ;) 
  • angelfoxangelfox Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    Your neighbor is crazy. Build a better fence protecting your site from its strip.

• kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get some weed killer and get on with it!!
    :) Sun, Sea :)

• EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    308 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'd fence off my own garden at the boundary, and leave the weedy strip. I'm a bit mystified as to why they left a strip of land that is theirs only accessible to you, their neighbours?
  • edited 3 August at 9:54AM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 August at 9:54AM
    The only reason I can think of is that your new neighbours left this strip of land to stand on when they paint the back of their fence.
    However, this would still mean having to trample over your garden in order to get to 'their' land.

As others have said, put your own (solid) fence up, preferably with an underground weed barrier, and let these idiots get on with it.