Fraud

Options

Comments

• brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you going to tell us what you think may have happened ?
  • LeMarais1979
    LeMarais1979 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. Well still trying to establish that. Both CC companies thought they’d dealt with it, then one called Wednesday to say there had been further attempts, online, to take over my account. iPad advised of a possible data leak, checked my details on  haveIbeenpawned.com and found the email address used for banking & CC was apart of the EasyJet data leak. Anyways at this stage it’s anyone’s guess, I’ll know more - hopefully - in a month. All acc’ are blocked for now. 
  • LeMarais1979
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. Well still trying to establish that. Both CC companies thought they’d dealt with it, then one called Wednesday to say there had been further attempts, online, to take over my account. iPad advised of a possible data leak, checked my details on  haveIbeenpawned.com and found the email address used for banking & CC was apart of the EasyJet data leak. Anyways at this stage it’s anyone’s guess, I’ll know more - hopefully - in a month. All acc’ are blocked for now. 
    Not ‘Ipad’ bank*
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,455 Forumite
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    One reason why voice id is handy.
    Yes, very handy.  For scammers.
    They're getting smarter all the time, and will no doubt at some stage be able to call victims, record their responses to carefully chosen questions and subsequently splice together appropriate sentences and phrases to fool Voice ID systems.  The recreation of the speech that JFK never gave at Dallas because he was assassinated shows what can be done.
     'Yes, you definitely transferred all your money to the Artful Dodger, the Voice ID system confirmed it was you !'
    Just another example of the banks not being streetwise.
    I've tried it and it does not work. A recording of your voice while it may sound the same to your ears. Is not.

Supposing is not the same as being able too....
    Life in the slow lane
  • brianposter
    edited 4 July 2020 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Hi. Well still trying to establish that. Both CC companies thought they’d dealt with it, then one called Wednesday to say there had been further attempts, online, to take over my account. Bank advised of a possible data leak, checked my details on  haveIbeenpawned.com and found the email address used for banking & CC was apart of the EasyJet data leak. Anyways at this stage it’s anyone’s guess, I’ll know more - hopefully - in a month. All acc’ are blocked for now. 
    Interesting. Easyjet was probably one of the few places that I had used my credit card before it was compromised.

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 July 2020 at 12:16PM
    Options
    One reason why voice id is handy.

There was a recent case on the TV where someone managed to take over an account despite the voice id not matching and failing the answers to some questions.
    It comes down to how charming you are and how much sympathy you can generate.
  • happy_hazelnuts
    Options
    You can be a charming as you want with first direct voice ID but if it doesn't match you won't get in!
  • LeMarais1979
    First Post
    Options
    Unbelievably - or maybe it isn’t - I had a call this afternoon from the fraud dept at 2nd CC while the fraudster was on the other line trying to update my details. 
  • LeMarais1979
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. Well still trying to establish that. Both CC companies thought they’d dealt with it, then one called Wednesday to say there had been further attempts, online, to take over my account. Bank advised of a possible data leak, checked my details on  haveIbeenpawned.com and found the email address used for banking & CC was apart of the EasyJet data leak. Anyways at this stage it’s anyone’s guess, I’ll know more - hopefully - in a month. All acc’ are blocked for now. 
    Interesting. Easyjet was probably one of the few places that I had used my credit card before it was compromised.

I had used both of the compromised CC with EasyJet during the past few years too...
    All CC now updated with extra security Q. Apparently when now when I call any of them I’m to be transferred to the fraud dept to verify my details / passwords etc so I feel a little better. Now on the alert for any credit being opened with my details. 
  • brianposter
    Options
    Have you discovered anything about the location of the fraudster ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback