Sh*t creek - is now in my rear view mirror...!

Options

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My broadband has line rental included in the price, I just haven't purchased a home phone as I've not used one for at least 10 years 🙈

I love my student cookbook, it even does puddings. The recipes will be with you by lunchtime, so prepare yourself with a pen and paper or save them to your PC / phone or however you access the internet.
    You may also want to look at the old style board on this forum, again people are very helpful with passing on cheap, filling and tasty meals.

I've not seen money in a poop, yet, I spose the good thing is coins and notes can easily be washed 😂 once I was waiting for a bus and looked at the road, a £1 coin was waiting to be grabbed, I've found change by work quite a few times and when just walking along. 

It's so easy to not see the wood through the trees when in a situation, talking it through means a gap can be found and that breathing space you need is suddenly available.

You will start to sleep a little better, but to stay focused keep chatting with us.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2020 at 11:42PM
    Options
    I agree with MF on the savings. If you feel you cant get rid of sky phone them and tell them you cant afford it. See if you can get a better deal. You have nothing to lose and can just say you will think about it and hang up. You can always call back later and speak to someone else if you are not happy. I've done this several times with virgin media and always got some discount. 

Is dog food to be covered by your budget ? We get ours direct from the manufacturer up north when we visit family £23.99 for a 15kg bag. Where do you get yours and could you find something cheaper but same quality?  How much do you spend on those poo bags ? Have you told the family you are not buying birthday / Christmas cards & presents ? I'm sure they will be understanding. You could maybe offer your time instead if they live nearby and you are physically able. I would love someone to clean my house and hoover for me for my birthday instead of a card & present :smile:

And finally ... dont feel too proud to ask the doctor for help or accept food from the food bank. You are no less entitled to help than families and children. You have worked and paid in to help others and given to charity so please feel able to accept some help where needed. 

0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Good morning. Welcome to the first day of your new life!

Hopefully you were not too overwhelmed yesterday.

I did spend a while thinking about what else could be done last night.

I'm not sure if you are on social media like FB, but if you are please join some local selling groups. Often there are people giving away things they no longer need, but I've also noticed there are a lot of food bank and clothes bank groups advertised within them. It's a no questions asked help, they know you wouldn't be going to them unless stuck.
    The food based ones will get you a few things in your cupboard.
    The clothes ones will get you outfits for interviews and work, when you are ready, together with general everyday clothes. 

I know SYA mentioned about having a lodger. It will reduce your benefits, but if you provide meals you get to keep more of your benefits. Have a look at the entitled to website, that way you can see how it all works. Do get the sick notes from your GP in the interim as I think there's another benefit (aside from PIP) which can be claimed when long-term sick, this will give you the breather to carry on getting better.

I've sent you a stack of recipes over, hopefully the notification box pops up when you login so you can see them all. Expect the messages to be slow to open as I've sent you a lot of recipes which you can adapt to your tastes.

You are in a good position not having to pay rent / mortgage. In the future when well enough (do not get rushing to find a job until you are ready!) you can use your low outgoings to your advantage and look at working part-time as UC will top your income up, or you could work PT and have a lodger.

Master low budget living now and you are set for life. I wouldn't do it any other way now.

If you have a garden, maybe turn part of it into a veg patch. One potato from your supermarket shopping could get you 10 - 20 potatoes when planted, £1 on carrot seeds could get you 100 carrots, same with parsnips, leeks and other veg. Tomato plants are very generous. But you have to wait a few months while everything grows. 
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Irenadler, hello welcome and bless you for posting. You have made a brave step. Well done you!!!! This thread and all the people on it have so many ideas. I have a couple too. 

My first one is in agreement with the foodbank situation. You can go through your doctor but it may be quicker to ring your local church. You don't even have to be a member they are so kind and will help you as I know mine does. If there is no church find an Indian temple they do the same thing. You can do this today. 

Secondly today, to make money quickly you can ask a friend or family member (who you trust) for their marketplace account details. Or you can take photos of items you wish to sell and then ask them to post on their marketplace, it is easy ( and brings in immediate cash or paypal but the latter will affect your benefits)  if you can find some nice things around the house. I have sold clothes, make up, furniture, kitchen stuff, shoes and made a fortune. If it is done on your friends account then it wont affect your benefits as right now you can't afford to lose any. You should keep half the cash for emergencies (as you need breathing space) and give half to family that you owe money too. 

I am sure you can ring the gas and electric people and tell them about your circumstances and you may be eligible for a financial help/voucher with your bills as that electric bill is high due to where you live. 

If you live close to a supermarket go at yellow sticker time. Find out from the shop assistants (ask an older one) what time that is and you can pick up food for pence. I cant as I live far from the shops so at the moment I am not able to do that. 

Do you have a garden? Put out a round robin facebook request for anyone who has strawberry plants, raspberry plants etc spare veggie seeds that they dont want and you can grow lots of food in a few weeks. My friend is doing this and her small garden is like a farm. She keeps giving me tomato plants and it is a great way to take your mind off things

I had a salary cut a few years ago and was so broke, I took in a lodger and it has saved my life £500 a month for doing nothing really as he is so clean and tidy and he sings. (I advertised on Spare rooms and interviewed them with a friend, If you are interested I have lots of photocopies of contracts and can post them to you to save you £10 buying one) if you pm me. 

Good luck and keep posting. 

Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My broadband has line rental included in the price, I just haven't purchased a home phone as I've not used one for at least 10 years 🙈

I love my student cookbook, it even does puddings. The recipes will be with you by lunchtime, so prepare yourself with a pen and paper or save them to your PC / phone or however you access the internet.
    You may also want to look at the old style board on this forum, again people are very helpful with passing on cheap, filling and tasty meals.

I've not seen money in a poop, yet, I spose the good thing is coins and notes can easily be washed 😂 once I was waiting for a bus and looked at the road, a £1 coin was waiting to be grabbed, I've found change by work quite a few times and when just walking along. 

It's so easy to not see the wood through the trees when in a situation, talking it through means a gap can be found and that breathing space you need is suddenly available.

You will start to sleep a little better, but to stay focused keep chatting with us.
    Hello MF
    First of all, thank you I have enjoyed looking through the recipes you've sent, i just need to actually look at what I have and what I could afford to get for meals.

I think switching the B/B and landline has got to be the next goal; I don't have any tv package with Sky just use freeview, but, I like the extra security of having a landline plus mobile even though it may seem like an expense I could cut....

I was only joking about the poop change thing, it would have to be more than just coppers though for me to go there! I have noticed in the past, that a dog walk across the pub car park in the morning on the way to the park, there have often been 'roadkill's. That was when the pub was open though. I guess it was from people fumbling for their car keys and accidentally dropping some change, then, not bothering if it's only coppers to pick up, especially if they were peed as newts slightly merry.

I must admit I have lurked on MSE for a while looking at Old Style, and I will definitely look at all the recipes stashed away on here.
    Thanks to yourself, and others on here and the benefits thread, I have found a breathing space. I think I will sleep a heck of a lot better tonight. I am just going to say it and get it over with THANK YOU EVERYONE!  :)
    Finally a quick update from the benefits thread: what have I saved in the last 24 hours
    Saved on water bill was £58.72 (cough, spread 8 months) NOW £41.96/10 months SAVED £16.76 from July (best part - not taking payment until August so a month's break)
    Saved on C/tax - pending request to spread from 10 to 12 months from £109 to hopefully £90 SAVING £19
    Cancelled Vet payment and charity SAVED £22 per month (but need to set aside £10 at least pm for basics for dog care)
    That's already changed the outgoings from £354.20 down to £316.92!! That means I can eat more than beans and rice - I will actually have (drumroll) £92.97 left after the bills go out instead of £55.69 a month. Or the difference between £14 a week to now £23.28!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Irenadler
    Options
    I agree with MF on the savings. If you feel you cant get rid of sky phone them and tell them you cant afford it. See if you can get a better deal. You have nothing to lose and can just say you will think about it and hang up. You can always call back later and speak to someone else if you are not happy. I've done this several times with virgin media and always got some discount. 

Is dog food to be covered by your budget ? We get ours direct from the manufacturer up north when we visit family £23.99 for a 15kg bag. Where do you get yours and could you find something cheaper but same quality?  How much do you spend on those poo bags ? Have you told the family you are not buying birthday / Christmas cards & presents ? I'm sure they will be understanding. You could maybe offer your time instead if they live nearby and you are physically able. I would love someone to clean my house and hoover for me for my birthday instead of a card & present :smile:

And finally ... dont feel too proud to ask the doctor for help or accept food from the food bank. You are no less entitled to help than families and children. You have worked and paid in to help others and given to charity so please feel able to accept some help where needed. 

Hello SyA
    Sky are definitely on my list, need to motivate myself to dig out the paperwork and ring them, I like your tip of saying I will think about their offer and hang up. It can't hurt, I have nothing to lose, and if they give a discount I would be well chuffed. If that doesn't work, I will try MF's tip about switching, Plusnet sounds like a better bet.

I have looked through all my coat pockets (fluff only), and my handbag and found a precious £13.80 in there, I only remembered when I found it that I put a tenner in there pre-lockdown 'in case of emergencies'. I have decided to keep the £10 in the bag, as emergency taxi fare 'just in case'. The £3,80 has now been stashed away in an old kilner jar, and I will start building that up as my 'Stash cash'. Just something I can do to start saving - I think I will take both MF and your advice and open a proper savings account. When the stash jar is full, it can go in there, but I don't know how long it will take to fill it... It sounds really daft but I feel better just thinking I am actually saving, rather than thinking about what I can afford to spend on food.

It feels like a positive start.

Grocery wise - the money left after bills (hopefully £92 a month now) has to cover my food, dog food, vet stuff, cleaning, toiletries, everything else really. I tend to use the local supermarkets nearest to me (walking distance) T*sco, L*dl, and rarely Coop because they seem most expensive in comparison to the other two. I do spend a lot on the dog's food - IAMS senior, because other food I have tried seemed to have an unfortunate effect on her digestion £7/2 kg (do try to get the offer - £5 or 2 for £10 when it's on), Lily's Kitchen (seem to get a lot of it in the tin and very little gaps or jelly, plus real veggies), that I have only seen at T*sco at £2.25 a 400g tin (again try and buy when on offer) but as she has allergies (vet says dust mite, I think dairy as well), that's more tricky. Anyone with recommendations out there, please let me know if there is something better value?
    I do buy baby 'nappy sacks' which are only 35p for 300 and scented which do brilliantly as dog poop bags (their 'proper' poo bags are £1.60ish but you only get 75). So I feel it's very MSE there at least.

I haven't talked to family about presents, but, they are aware I am skint - I love the idea of doing IOU's for them, it feels like a lovely thing to do for loved ones, more personal than chocolates or other gifts, I usually give the 'kids' money though as they all have a lot of stuff and I don't know any more what they have or don't have, or collect etc. Nephews and nieces - 8 in the immediate family and 3 great nephews/nieces. I will have to let them know, for birthdays and Xmas that I am too skint this year. That feels really deflating and sad. I say kids, but, they are in their 20s and 30s now...!

I am hoping that I don't need to ask the GP for help; with the savings I never expected I could make so far, and the possibility that I may get more support with both the water bill and the Council Tax. I know what you are saying, yes I have worked for over 40 odd years and paid my tax and NI, but, there are some desperate people out there that still have mortgages, rents, and children, and I don't want to take anything away from them, if that makes sense? Or maybe I am just daft as a brush.

Anyway, I have started to feel my situation isn't as desperate as I thought it was, even though there isn't much to go around. 
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• Irenadler
    Options
    Good morning. Welcome to the first day of your new life!
    Thank you!  :)
    Hopefully you were not too overwhelmed yesterday.
    It was like information overload, but, in a good way, and I hope I managed to comment back to everyone. Apologies if I have missed anyone out, still going through it all.
    I did spend a while thinking about what else could be done last night.

I'm not sure if you are on social media like FB, but if you are please join some local selling groups. Often there are people giving away things they no longer need, but I've also noticed there are a lot of food bank and clothes bank groups advertised within them. It's a no questions asked help, they know you wouldn't be going to them unless stuck.
    The food based ones will get you a few things in your cupboard.
    The clothes ones will get you outfits for interviews and work, when you are ready, together with general everyday clothes. 
    I've never got into social media, although been on here before a while back, but I think I need to try it. I didn't know they did all those things, thank you.

I know SYA mentioned about having a lodger. It will reduce your benefits, but if you provide meals you get to keep more of your benefits. Have a look at the entitled to website, that way you can see how it all works. Do get the sick notes from your GP in the interim as I think there's another benefit (aside from PIP) which can be claimed when long-term sick, this will give you the breather to carry on getting better.

Fortunately, even at my worst, I have accepted help from the GP regarding my own healthcare, and have kept up sending sick notes (can't quite get my head around that new phrase 'fit note'). I can see that a lodger would help the finances, but, not sure how a lodger would cope with me. I don't sleep much, up in early hours, cleaning a lot (perhaps they would like that), but, also have to have alone time for bad times. I also have certain issues which make me very nervous around strangers, so, I really need to think on that one and it's impacts. Not dismissing it, but, anxious about it....
    I've sent you a stack of recipes over, hopefully the notification box pops up when you login so you can see them all. Expect the messages to be slow to open as I've sent you a lot of recipes which you can adapt to your tastes.
    Thank you so much, I have been browsing them and they look tasty!
    You are in a good position not having to pay rent / mortgage. In the future when well enough (do not get rushing to find a job until you are ready!) you can use your low outgoings to your advantage and look at working part-time as UC will top your income up, or you could work PT and have a lodger.
    Part-time sounds like a great idea, keep stressing about the thought of work, and mingling with people again....

Master low budget living now and you are set for life. I wouldn't do it any other way now.
    Now, that is a great idea, I think I will steal that phrase and make it my mantra, if that's ok with you? I also love the idea of living more sustainably, reuse, recycle, repair, spend and consume less. Well, I don't have a choice on that last one anyway!
    If you have a garden, maybe turn part of it into a veg patch. One potato from your supermarket shopping could get you 10 - 20 potatoes when planted, £1 on carrot seeds could get you 100 carrots, same with parsnips, leeks and other veg. Tomato plants are very generous. But you have to wait a few months while everything grows. 
    Actually, I have finally found something in all the great advice I've had that I am already doing, very MSE. Got old compost and pots, and using old seed packets I have planted up a fair bit: chillies, lettuce, herbs, toms. I didn't know if it would work, but also an old piece of root ginger from the fridge, which all seems to be growing. Even tried a bit of lemongrass and it has grown a long stalk. I didn't start doing it to save money, just discovered the old joy for gardening was still there. It has been a life-saver, better than anti-depressants, I just seem to be able to cut off from everything and spend hours in the garden. It just seems to really lift my mood and I feel really low if I don't do anything outside. 
    I am mastering the art of replying to people's quotes better, I hope. Thanks again MF, I am getting through everyone's advice slowly.  :D 

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Don't even think about work at the moment, you will know when you are ready. Same as taking in a lodger, that may not be for you even when you are better.

One of the few things I forgot to add in my post this morning was if you are using one of the big named supermarkets for your shopping, sign up for their loyalty card as you earn points / money for shopping with them. Usually I recommend saving them up for Christmas (there's normally an option of having them quarterly or October / November), that way you will get an almost free Xmas day of food from them. I think I saw on your other thread you use T so have based it on their scheme.

Hopefully the recipes will keep you going for a while. If you want more pudding, breakfast, soup ideas let me know and I can see what else the book has 😊

I'm glad you find your garden helpful, it does allow an escape from our heads. I've only very recently started growing edibles. What I've also done is kept seeds from my shop fruit and veg to grow, keeps costs down and is fun to see what will grow. It's fun to do a bit of experimental gardening, as you are doing!

Take the mantra and any others, if they help you that's a good thing 😉

• Irenadler
    Options
    Irenadler, hello welcome and bless you for posting. You have made a brave step. Well done you!!!! This thread and all the people on it have so many ideas. I have a couple too. 
    Hello Savingwannabe  :) 
    Thank you. I nearly didn't do it, but, I am so glad I did, all of the people on MSE have been incredibly kind and generous with their time and advice.

My first one is in agreement with the foodbank situation. You can go through your doctor but it may be quicker to ring your local church. You don't even have to be a member they are so kind and will help you as I know mine does. If there is no church find an Indian temple they do the same thing. You can do this today. 

You are very kind, it just feels so much like I am going against the grain, asking for food. I do have some tins and dried food/pulses, so it doesn't seem right to ask. If things get really bad, as in selling my stuff off to buy food, I will have to. I am still hoping it won't be needed....  :| 

Secondly today, to make money quickly you can ask a friend or family member (who you trust) for their marketplace account details. Or you can take photos of items you wish to sell and then ask them to post on their marketplace, it is easy ( and brings in immediate cash or paypal but the latter will affect your benefits)  if you can find some nice things around the house. I have sold clothes, make up, furniture, kitchen stuff, shoes and made a fortune. If it is done on your friends account then it wont affect your benefits as right now you can't afford to lose any. You should keep half the cash for emergencies (as you need breathing space) and give half to family that you owe money too. 

That never occurred to me, thank you, I don't have a camera, just a basic phone that takes poor photos, but doesn't have room to store more than one! That is such a good idea, putting some cash away, and paying some back to my family. I was actually thinking of taking stuff to the local pawn shop, as, I  think they might be open now. Not to buy back, to sell, if they give reasonable prices. Just as it's immediate. I would have to bus it, no transport, and the nearest post office is a fair walk away.

I am sure you can ring the gas and electric people and tell them about your circumstances and you may be eligible for a financial help/voucher with your bills as that electric bill is high due to where you live. 

I never thought of that, as I have just fixed for 12 month's, and thought I couldn't change it. How daft am I? The high use is because of my allergy stricken dog and doing a lot of laundry/cleaning, I think. It was a horrendous £103 a month, so I have saved about £30 a month on that.... I am thinking it would be easier to rip out all the carpets, have hard floors and get the mop out instead....

If you live close to a supermarket go at yellow sticker time. Find out from the shop assistants (ask an older one) what time that is and you can pick up food for pence. I cant as I live far from the shops so at the moment I am not able to do that. 

You know, I used to do that, but after my issues struggled to get out and about a lot, then the local shop shut. It's a good walk to the nearest supermarkets, but, maybe I should set myself the challenge and start getting there for reductions... not sure if I could cope with the crowds, maybe it's different now?

Do you have a garden? Put out a round robin facebook request for anyone who has strawberry plants, raspberry plants etc spare veggie seeds that they dont want and you can grow lots of food in a few weeks. My friend is doing this and her small garden is like a farm. She keeps giving me tomato plants and it is a great way to take your mind off things

I do have a garden, and think it's the one thing I have managed to do right, get back into tending it again properly. You all have such good ideas - never thought about FB requests, but totally agree with how being outside in it helps mentally. It is such a simple joy that I had neglected...

I had a salary cut a few years ago and was so broke, I took in a lodger and it has saved my life £500 a month for doing nothing really as he is so clean and tidy and he sings. (I advertised on Spare rooms and interviewed them with a friend, If you are interested I have lots of photocopies of contracts and can post them to you to save you £10 buying one) if you pm me. 

Aw, I know what you are saying, but it's a really hard one for me. That much cash would be incredible. I have issues to deal with that I wouldn't want to inflict on anyone, even a nice lodger. For example, if I have something trigger the PTSD, I have a horrible panic attack and have had people not knowing what to do. And the worst is they are clearly upset/worried, which makes me more anxious, and then that makes me worse... There is more that I won't go into, but, I don't cope well with strangers and I am sweating just thinking about interviewing anyone... You are so lucky with your singing lodger. I have avoidance issues, which, ironically in the current climate people think is normal now...
    Good luck and keep posting. 

Thank you so much, I haven't put my brain through this much exercise for a long time, and it has done me good, got me out of my comfort zone and really motivated me.  :) Now If I could just sort out my head issues the way you've all helped me with my finances, I would be onto a winner.....

• MovingForwards
    Options
    You can bulk your furbaby's food out with frozen / fresh veg, or use them as treats.
    As for recommendations as the diet is working, stick with it and see if you can find a bigger bag but get it delivered. That way you potentially save money, but need to be able to save up to get your first bag. 
    You could try a different brand for the meat tin, but treat it like you would allergy testing. Only introduce one brand, one flavour. See what happens over a few days, if everything is ok, stop that flavour and try another. If it's not ok, go back to Lily's until settled and pick a different brand.
    T may even do their own version of the kibble, again try a small bag to see what happens.

I'm guessing you may not have a pet shop within walking distance. Quite often they have special offers too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback