Sh*t creek - is now in my rear view mirror...!

Options

Comments

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't even think about work at the moment, you will know when you are ready. Same as taking in a lodger, that may not be for you even when you are better.
    I did and do thing about it, but, the GP agrees I am not ready. I think a lodger would help so much, but my issues, I think, would get in the way. Anyway, I don't think there are many non-smoking, vegetarian or vegan, dog-loving germaphobe insomniac's out there.... ! :D
    One of the few things I forgot to add in my post this morning was if you are using one of the big named supermarkets for your shopping, sign up for their loyalty card as you earn points / money for shopping with them. Usually I recommend saving them up for Christmas (there's normally an option of having them quarterly or October / November), that way you will get an almost free Xmas day of food from them. I think I saw on your other thread you use T so have based it on their scheme.
    I have a loyalty card, and always used it at Christmas, but, not the last couple of years. I need to check what's on it....
    Hopefully the recipes will keep you going for a while. If you want more pudding, breakfast, soup ideas let me know and I can see what else the book has 😊
    Aw, thanks, still trying to figure out a way to save what you've sent so I can use it and not lose it.
    I'm glad you find your garden helpful, it does allow an escape from our heads. I've only very recently started growing edibles. What I've also done is kept seeds from my shop fruit and veg to grow, keeps costs down and is fun to see what will grow. It's fun to do a bit of experimental gardening, as you are doing!
    I would love to know how you get on, I have managed to get a sprig of mint growing by putting it in water until it grew roots and potting it up.
    Take the mantra and any others, if they help you that's a good thing 😉
    Thank you, I will repeat it below, in case anyone has missed it because I think it's the vital guidance I need to live by:

LEARN TO MASTER A LOW COST LIFESTYLE AND YOU ARE SET FOR LIFE.
    That's what I need to do. Not just bumble along, thinking I am coping, when really I am in denial and up Sh*t Creek!
    Much obliged to you (I had to find another way to say thank you!)  :D
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is it a computer, laptop, tablet or phone you access the internet on? 
    With a computer / laptop, right click on the recipe and it should give you the option to save it somewhere.
    With a tablet / phone, keep your finger pressed on the recipe, you should then have the option to download it.

I've just picked a few of my radishes and they were delicious!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Irenadler
    Options
    It's an ancient laptop that only works connected to mains (I think it needs a new battery). I will try that, much appreciated, ta very much...  :) 
    Lovely, I think I have radish seed somewhere, must try and get some seeds in.... I had a try of some of the lettuce (cut n'come again), its much better than shop bought, the crispness and flavour are so different to bagged leaves. Definitely keeping that going. I also tried nasturtium leaves - hard to describe, a bit peppery, really nice with the salad. Have to keep this up!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• MovingForwards
    Options
    As long as it powers up plugged into the mains, it will keep you in contact with the outside world 😊

Have a look to see what seeds you've got and get some planted. I've a herb garden on the go too 🤗 I found out a few days ago tomato leaf can be made into a pesto, so you will get many good uses out of what you're growing! 
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Yes, it is wheezing along, barely, like me!
    I know I have herbs - got parsley and basil growing around in pots, definitely crave greens... I have never heard that about tomato leaf. I will look into that!  :D ta, muchly...

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2020 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Irene hello I hope you don't mind me saying this but the foodbanks exist for people in exactly this situation and it really will take some of the strain away from you. Think of it this way, Maslow's hierarchy of needs states that people have to meet physiological needs such as food before they are able to even think of any others like stability. By having some of the stress taken away by accepting a food parcel you will sleep properly knowing you wont have to worry about food. Then you can have some breathing space to start to plan ahead to have a more stable future.  Most people in this country are a few pay cheques from a similar scenario. Noone will judge you many people are in financial problems because of covid.  I don't know how you are surviving on so little. If you were a parent of one of my students I would refer you myself. I really would encourage you to call dr's or a church  tomorrow. 

I hope you have a good week and please do keep posting. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could make a small amount of money doing online surveys. Prolific academic seem to be the best paying so money builds up quite quickly. I think you can withdraw it straight into your bank account. 

Good luck 
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Irene hello I hope you don't mind me saying this but the foodbanks exist for people in exactly this situation and it really will take some of the strain away from you. Think of it this way, Maslow's hierarchy of needs states that people have to meet physiological needs such as food before they are able to even think of any others like stability. By having some of the stress taken away by accepting a food parcel you will sleep properly knowing you wont have to worry about food. Then you can have some breathing space to start to plan ahead to have a more stable future.  Most people in this country are a few pay cheques from a similar scenario. Noone will judge you many people are in financial problems because of covid.  I don't know how you are surviving on so little. If you were a parent of one of my students I would refer you myself. I really would encourage you to call dr's or a church  tomorrow. 

I hope you have a good week and please do keep posting. 
    Hello Savingwannabe
    I don't mind you mentioning it, but, being stubborn me I am convinced that I will manage it somehow, I did have some foresight to buy tinned stuff and dried stuff like porridge and lentils, as extras, a bit a week, and I do have some herbs and greens growing. so there are some basics in there..

I keep thinking that food banks are for those who open their cupboards and there isn't anything in there. And I do have veggies in the freezer, so, I just have to organize myself and get my head around what I have, and what I can make with it. It's stuff like plant milk, yogurt, fruit, some salad I buy in the week. ie. the fresh stuff. And then whatever runs out, like dog food, dare I say it, toilet rolls... that I have to budget for really carefully now.
    Mentally, just the suggestions of tweaking my bills, and following it up,  by all the advice I have had here, has given me that feeling of a breathing space. It has felt such a relief.
    I will keep posting, but, I think lack of sleep and stamina are kicking in...  Need to get cleaning again, and also, dig out the stuff for reviewing the rest of it... Thank you for your good wishes, I will keep posting...

• Irenadler
    Options
    Hello all

I am feeling a bit more rested, and, having the breathing space feeling of finally knowing I have actually saved something from the outgoings has helped me sleep better. You know you have all helped me gain more peace of mind, so, thank you  :)  I want to post more often on here, but, seem to have bouts of energy, followed by exhaustion. So these will be erratic, but, my first goal is to try and do a post a week minimum. 

Anyway, I wanted to summarise the new out-goings to refresh my memory:
    Direct debit monthly totals : £315.44 less U.C. £409.89 = £94.45 per month (£23.61 per week) 

REALITY CHECK (or the reality cheque is in the post!):
    I received a text alert from bank telling me I have £43.08. This is to last me from this week until paid on 22nd of the month. That is a scary £14.36 a week-ish...Things should look better from August, as, because I switched broadband and landline provider I have incurred payment to old supplier plus payment to new supplier this month. Should have waited really until end of this month, but, didn't want to lose the deal and scared I would forget the right dates to time it. 

On the plus side, I have been so scared to spend anything I haven't entered a shop, and living on what I have. This has meant simple meals of porridge oats for breakfast (with frozen fruits), vegetables or salad lunch with beans and rice/pasta/cous cous or quinoa, snack for tea e.g. crispbread with peanut butter or cheese alternative and pickle. Fortunately I do have plenty of tinned beans like kidney beans and chickpeas, tinned toms, and for some bizarre reason a lot of tinned coconut milk but I do love a curry with coconut milk. I think there was an offer..... I have been working my way through frozen vegan sausages, falafels, and some home made beet burgers. Ran out of wraps and bread now, but, still have the carbs in the brown rice, pasta as mentioned.

There is so much advice out there on MSE, and I am looking at the lovely recipes you've sent MF, as well as the £1 vegetarian meal cook book. Slightly modified those as I have now gone full ethical vegan. That does make finding things I would use like toiletries, cleaning products, etc more expensive, but I am in the process of using up what I have in those (some vegan, some not). And only eating vegan is, I think, the cheapest diet as long as I am cooking as much as I can myself and not too much convenience or ready meals...

Totals saved so far:
    Emergency fund: £10
    Stash jar: £3.20
    Debt: 0/£1,000
    Bank saving: £0
    Dog's basic medical: £0
    No change on those yet.....

Virtual savings:

Fed up with no hairdresser appointment so cut my own hair, not great, but ok. Saved £15 dry hair cut and tip. It's a start, but, not sure I will keep that up. More to do with circumstances as they are. 

• MovingForwards
    Options
    You could post once every 4 weeks to start with. That will allow you to see what you have spent / done and what you plan to do the next 4 weeks. It would fall in line with your UC payments. Get confident with that then post every 3 weeks, then 2, then 1. No need to rush into things as you've had a major shift in your life recently.

Your meals sound very nice!
    With your bread items, buy the value ones I think T pitta breads are under 50p, get a few packets and put them in the freezer, toast with a cheap loaf of bread will be just as filling as a £1 loaf. Packet lentils etc are cheap, just require a bit of advance planning because of soaking / cooking. Make sure you buy an extra item for your cupboard when shopping and build up an emergency supply of food over time.

There are many items at home that can be used for cleaning etc, rather than buying dedicated vegan products, it will save you money.
    I got a bar of handmade soap from ebay, under £2 and is vegan, it's not a full size bar, but should last a few months. I will also be putting my 'scraps' into a tub to make a big bar; used to do that as a kid 🤫

Do you have another jar for putting hairdressers money into? If you space your appointments out it will save you money each year. Also, have a look to see if any salons / beauty schools are looking for models, that usually saves money too as long as you don't have anything complex. Before lockdown there were quite a few advertising on the FB selling groups.

You say there is no change to your savings, but there is, this time last month you didn't have any, this time next month you will have a little bit more. Rome wasn't built in a day and you've come so far in a short time 🤗
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback