End of fixed term contract, do employers need to give me redundancy notice?

Options
My fixed term contract states that it is only for a period of a year and that my job is linked to a project that only runs for one year. It ends on 31st August. I am pretty sure that my contract won't be renewed as a recent email implied that my last pay date will be at the end of July. Do my employers have to give me formal notice that my contract will not be renewed? And if it is not renewed does this count as redundancy? 

Comments

• wiggyclaws
    wiggyclaws Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to ACAS website a fixed term contract that isn't renewed is statutory dismissal. This has to be for a reason such as redundancy, conduct or a sosr whatever that is. If the job no longer exists then surely it's redundancy and then logically they have to follow a process. Or am I muddled? 
  • Chloe901
    Chloe901 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree that this is not a redundancy. You signed up for a fixed amount of time, which is now coming to the end. Everything is exactly as you agreed it when you took on the role.
    That said, in my last role I managed a number of people on FTCs and we had to give them notice if/when we were not going to renew or extend the contract. I think it was three weeks' notice, but that will vary place to place (and indeed there may be no such requirement at your place). Might be worth checking your contract or speaking with HR if that's an option.
    Craft target 2020 - 17/20 projects complete
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to ACAS website a fixed term contract that isn't renewed is statutory dismissal. This has to be for a reason such as redundancy, conduct or a sosr whatever that is. If the job no longer exists then surely it's redundancy and then logically they have to follow a process. Or am I muddled? 
    They only need to give you redundancy pay if you have been there for 2 years or more, they need to give  a week notice by law for any employee that has worked for them for over a month but as you already know they have already met the criteria. 
  • wiggyclaws
    Options
    Have been on a succession of fixed term contracts 4 years now and the current contract specifically says it's a continuation contract. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so have you been there for 4 years? with no break? 
  • wiggyclaws
    Options
    Yes, aside from maternity leave. There was a dispute over maternity leave payments and my employers eventually paid but then threatened to only renew the contract at the time for 2 months. I explained that they couldn't punish me for asserting a statutory right and they gave me this current one year contract. So four years and 4 months in total. 
  • wiggyclaws
    Options
    Think an interesting conversation is coming up with my employer! 
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    My fixed term contract states that it is only for a period of a year and that my job is linked to a project that only runs for one year. 

Has the project ended, if it has then there is a redundancy situation, but they should follow procedures like looking for suitable alternatives.

if it has not ended then they really should extend the contract.

Do they realise that you will dues redundancy pay for 4years service.

• wiggyclaws
    Options
    I don't think they've even considered it. Funnily enough I only found out it definitely hadn't been renewed after getting messages from other members of staff trying to arrange my leaving do. So no actual contact from my employers about my contract ending, no contact from them at all during furlough period, and no hint of anything to do with other vacancies. I suspect that I shall have to fight for statutory redundancy. I was hired to teach a particular subject which was a popular choice but am guessing that they will just claim reduced demand. Have since found that other members of staff have already left abruptly so I don't think the lack of consideration for legalities is a new thing. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback