Barclaycard Rewards Visa card not fully supported in Google Pay?

Options
Hi
I'm trying to add my Barclaycard (Rewards Visa card) into Google Pay but getting the following:

Card is contactless supported and my phone is a Nokia 8 Sirocco, running Android 10. No issues adding other Visa cards into Google Pay. Have deleted the card and tried again but keep getting same message.

So is this an issue with my Barclaycard or with my phone? When I called Barclaycard they said its most likely an issue with Google Pay or my phone...yet the screenshot above suggests its an issue with Barclaycard. Not a huge issue as I have successfully added other cards into Google Pay but nevertheless would like to know why my BC can't be used in stores using Google Pay.
Cheers

Comments

• Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I should also add that the same card is fully supported in Apple Pay on my other phone (iPhone XS).
  • harsh_but_fair
    harsh_but_fair Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 19 June 2020 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I didn't think Barclaycard was supported on Google pay or indeed Samsung pay - I thought they wanted you to use their own Barclays app for contactless

things may have changed that I am unaware of of course

https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7351534?hl=en
  • Jakerrs
    Jakerrs Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard doesn't work on Google Pay for paying contactless. I think the bit about being able to be used online is where online shops have Google Pay as a checkout method.
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 June 2020 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Barclaycard have their own mobile app they want you to use. It existed for contactless payments long before Apple and Google's offerings and Barclays clearly don't want to pay Apple or Google a percentage of the transaction in commission.
  • harsh_but_fair
    Options
    there is of course the added advantage of using the barclays app rather than google pay in that google don't get to slurp even more data about you.
  • Highland76
    Options
    Cheers everyone. Yes indeed, the Barclaycard Android app does have the option the pay using the app in lieu of Google Pay. But slightly strange why they've chosen to opt into Apple Pay but not Google Pay. Thanks again :)
  • harsh_but_fair
    Options
    The annoying thing of course is that you can only have one NFC app at a time and have to switch if you want to change

this means if for example you are using the Barclays app to pay contactlessly and you want to use Google pay you'll have to switch your NFC app to Google pay before you can use it and then back to Barclays again
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 June 2020 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Barclaycard have their own mobile app they want you to use. It existed for contactless payments long before Apple and Google's offerings and Barclays clearly don't want to pay Apple or Google a percentage of the transaction in commission.
    It's just Barclays being awkward as they enabled Apple Pay for debit/credit cards.
    Just be aware that their own app can be flaky when it comes to making contactless payments.
  • simongregson
    Options
    It's Apple who will not allow other apps to access NFC payment, so Barclaycard are sort of forced to use Apple Pay or they will lose part of their customer base. There are other cards not supported by Google Pay like Tesco Bank ones.
  • Highland76
    Options
    It's Apple who will not allow other apps to access NFC payment
    Good. Better to have multiple payment cards under one 'app' like Apple Pay and Google Pay rather than loads of different apps, one for each card for better management/ease of use. Though I do remember Barclaycard taking a long time to get their cards implemented into Apple Pay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback