We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Driving Licence Renewal - over 70

Options
124»

Comments

• cherry76
    cherry76 Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I applied for my dad online and it came back very quick within a week.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I no longer have a licence to drive trucks between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes - because I chose not to bother with the medical to continue driving trucks.
    Same for minibuses - but my trailer-towing possibilities are unchanged.
    Lots of folks are confused about towing trailers after the age of 70.

You do not need to take a medical examination to continue driving agricultural or forestry vehicles or vehicles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes with a trailer over 750kg. However, you will need to make a self-assessment of your fitness to drive.

This means declaring any conditions which could affect your ability to drive such as visual impairments, epilepsy or strokes. To drive other types of vehicles you will need to pass a medical test and an eyesight test.

Drivers holding a category B+E licence before their licence expired at age 70 can continue to drive a vehicle weighing up to 3.5 tonnes with a trailer up to a maximum combination weight limit of 8.25 tonnes, once renewed.

Of course the towing capacity of the towing vehicle must not be exceeded.

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got my reminder 3 months before my 75th in early March, sent off the paper form, received new licence very quickly.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I applied 3 months in advance of my 70th birthday for my renewal. I did everything online and was advised only to return application form with my driving license cut in two . I sent it back by Recorded delivery and this was about 10 working days ago. I have tried track and trace and still not shown as delivered. Also tried the DVLA tracking service and just states awaiting return of application form.  

According to RM they will not deem this as a lost item until after 11 working days.  So I do not know where I stand now as DVLA will not issue the renewal until the former one has been received but if lost this is not possible. The only way I can see around this is to pay for a replacement license and then send it off cut up in two for them to issue the renewal. 

I'm sure other people have come across this problem and would be interested to know how they would have resolved it.

Tried calling DVLA but not taking calls.  Any advice very much appreciated. 
  • CRISPIANNE3
    edited 5 July 2020 at 6:30PM
    Options
    I applied 3 months in advance of my 70th birthday for my renewal. I did everything online and was advised only to return application form with my driving license cut in two . I sent it back by Recorded delivery and this was about 10 working days ago. I have tried track and trace and still not shown as delivered. Also tried the DVLA tracking service and just states awaiting return of application form.  

According to RM they will not deem this as a lost item until after 11 working days.  So I do not know where I stand now as DVLA will not issue the renewal until the former one has been received but if lost this is not possible. The only way I can see around this is to pay for a replacement license and then send it off cut up in two for them to issue the renewal. 

I'm sure other people have come across this problem and would be interested to know how they would have resolved it.

Tried calling DVLA but not taking calls.  Any advice very much appreciated. 
    According to RM the item is now deemed as lost. DVLA workers are just a lot of wilting violets to afraid to work so no chance of any human dialogue with them. Just brilliant!!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CRISPIANNE3 said:
    DVLA workers are just a lot of wilting violets to afraid to work so no chance of any human dialogue with them. Just brilliant!!
    Umm, I don't know if you've seen the news at all over the last... ooh... four months, but...
  • CRISPIANNE3
    edited 6 July 2020 at 10:05AM
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    CRISPIANNE3 said:
    DVLA workers are just a lot of wilting violets to afraid to work so no chance of any human dialogue with them. Just brilliant!!
    Umm, I don't know if you've seen the news at all over the last... ooh... four months, but...
    Drop the sarcasm matey.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport