We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Driving Licence Renewal - over 70

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not had a reminder yet and will be 70 in about 6 weeks time ,it was seeing it mentioned on this website that reminded me to sort it out other wise would have been driving round without a licence  :# 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure about 7.5 truck, but you definitely should not lose trailer towing.  Think of all the caravan owners! I took a photocopy of mine before sending it off to prove I had trailer. It came back showing trailer.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Posts: 813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DVLA are not sending out reminders at the moment. Also no point posting anything to them as they are not processing mail. Easy to do online, and efficient. My husband's new licence came very quickly, we had allowed extra time in case of delays, but it wasn't necessary.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have just checked Dads licence for him again and it is now showing `` Your full driving licence has expired``.  He is really worried now, it was posted to DVLA at the end of March and we don`t have a clue what is happening! as its in print it is cancelled there is no way he can even think about driving.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Try to do it online. They are not processing mail at the moment.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have just checked Dads licence for him again and it is now showing `` Your full driving licence has expired``.  He is really worried now, it was posted to DVLA at the end of March and we don`t have a clue what is happening! as its in print it is cancelled there is no way he can even think about driving.
    "Posted at the end of March" says exactly what's happening. DVLA have not been processing ANY post since lockdown.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update

When they eventually restart (remember, Swansea is in Wales), then there will be a mahoosive backlog.

And, yes, he absolutely can continue to drive.
    https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Driving while DVLA has your licence

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

• you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
    • you had a valid licence
    • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
    • your application is less than a year old
    • your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
    • you’re not currently disqualified
    • you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013

Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.

• katies_mum
    Options
    Thank you both for replying.   
    Marmaduke123, I was told by the DVLA via their Facebook page not to apply again on line as he has already sent in a postal application (that was a month or so ago) so havn`t tried as I didn`t want to mess his application up.  It was their usual standard reply to all comments with that comment stuck on the end.  If you apply on line do you actually get a new licence back?
    Adrian C, thank you I have read that, thank you for posting, but his concern is now that it is actually in print on the GOV.UK site that his full driving licence has `expired`, he is too worried to even think about taking the car out of the garage should he need to (luckily at this moment in time I am doing most of his shopping etc)  I agree the backlog must be huge and will take ages to get through.  I know where they are based, but don`t see why they can`t start on this huge backlog surely with all the staff they must have some could be working and others from home.  We never hear any comments on the news that there is a problem!! 
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Yes, you get a new licence back if you apply online, even in lockdown. They tell you to send in your old licence but we have never bothered to do that even in normal times, have just cut it up as you would an expired credit card.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thank you, will give it a go, I do wish I had ignored them and tried a few weeks ago (it was still valid then)
  • peter1xxx
    peter1xxx Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all comments.Its been ten weeks now since i applied by post.I am now driving without a license.This problem is not going to get sorted very soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure