Valuing an estate

Options
Hi, can I ask for some advice regarding valuing an estate and informaing financial institutions?  I have looked at probate and we do need  to apply for it as even though everything is being transferred to my Dad, a couple of accounts are over the probate threshold for that institution and they say they require probate.  I assume this is correct.
But do we value the estate, apply for probate and then when we receive it, do we then deal with the accounts?  Or do we advise the financial institutions now and then value the estate? Sorry, I have tried to look everything up, but I cannot tell if they should be done in an order or simultaneously or what?  
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 June 2020 at 10:06AM
    Options
    ..not sure I understand your question, but it is usual to carry out a valuation then apply for probate. Once probate is received you can then go to the relevant financial institutions with the relevant documentation.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Poppy_1411
    Options
    Thank you, sorry if I was unclear. We didn't expect to be doing this and are finding it very difficult. 
    So, do I advise the financial instititutions of the death, then value the estate and apply for probate, then go back to financial institutions when received probate and deal with accounts. 
    Or do we value the estate, apply for probate, then with probate go to financial institutions and advise of death and show probate?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can advise the institutions concerned that your  mother has died.

It is likely that the accounts will then be frozen (no payments in or out - although  as I understand it, some institutions will accept credits).

To value the estate, you need to establish the value at date of death - the institutions concerned will be able to give you the figures.

You can then set about obtaining probate.
    https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate/apply-for-probate

• TcpnT
    TcpnT Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First step is to contact each institution and inform them of the death and request a valuation at the date of death. You use these values for the probate application. They will freeze the accounts at this point. When you receive probate you go back to them and claim the funds.
  • Poppy_1411
    Options
    That is exactly what i need to know.  Thank you ever so much for your quick replies.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My condolences. Note that you will likely need to provide a death certificate to get them to give the values to you. 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    From personal experience, the quickest way of doing this is to contact each institutions dedicated bereavement team. They will tell you exactly what their institution needs from you, both initially & when you are in a position to gather in the Estate
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    badger09 said:
    From personal experience, the quickest way of doing this is to contact each institutions dedicated bereavement team. They will tell you exactly what their institution needs from you, both initially & when you are in a position to gather in the Estate
    Also, from my recent experience, its worth getting several copies of the death certificate (each copy has a cost, but the cost can be passed onto the Estate).   Some institutions are very quick at returning the death certificate after they have done their thing, but others can be very tardy and some didn't return them at all.

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will need to complete and submit the IHT205 form before you apply for probate, whether you think IHT is due or not.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • PeterE17
    PeterE17 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My condolences also. Something that the DIY guides seem to overlook is income tax during the period of administration. So, if the accounts you are dealing with continue to pay interest until you get them repaid, you'll be liable for interest at 20%; go to 
    www. gov.uk,  search for self-assessment tax returns, then returns for someone who has died,  
    where probably the last section applies to you. It's better to be aware of such a liability now rather than later.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback