Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Replace fault wall socket -what is switched off.

New Post Advanced Search

Replace fault wall socket -what is switched off.

25 replies 455 views
DandytfDandytf Forumite
2.9K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I plan to purchase and replace a faulty living room standard single wall socket,which could be useful when w.f.h.
Maybe I could fined the correct switch in consumer box, rather than switching whole electric off.
Is there anything else to check.
thanks
sc dmp 2012 13k Dec 2019 11140 paid 80% approx.-Next Update Early Jan 2021
Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month-New Rules 2020
Mid 2019/20-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.-Closed reverting to e-saver 14.

Replies

• statorstator Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turn the whole switchboard off.
    It is possible to trip the RCD even when the tripswitch is off.
    If you are not an electrician, then you might as well be safe.

Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to establish if I'll face a massive queue to access Homebase, considering Argos show No stock.
    1.50 difference, that's disappointing, though understandable.
    I'll need to establish how to switch this ' newer ' Electric Box off,
    Thanks,
    Mid 2019/20-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.-Closed reverting to e-saver 14.
  • avoidtheupsidedownbottlesavoidtheupsidedownbottles Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Your local Wilkinsons might do sockets if that helps.
  • stragglebodstragglebod Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    And still test that the socket is no longer live, even with the whole consumer unit off. You never know, especially if you live in a flat.
  • nofoollikeoldnofoollikeold Forumite
    283 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    1. As stated above, switch off whole consumer unit, and still test for no voltage between any of the three (brown, blue, yellow green, or if old, red, black, green) wires.  A neon screwdriver type tester is NOT enough.
    2. Have a look at Screwfix - I quite like the MK Logic + range, although some say the quality is not what it was.
  • edited 1 June at 11:25AM
    DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 11:25AM
    https://imgur.com/gallery/2G5R0RJ
    scroll down to see 2nd On Switch.
    thanks
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dandytf said: https://imgur.com/gallery/2G5R0RJ
    scroll down to see 2nd On Switch.
    Really don't know why you still have a set of wired fuses alongside a modern consumer unit. They should have been removed long ago. The "isolator" switch might be for the four wired fuses, or it might be for something else - Your sockets should be connected to the consumer unit where you have full RCD protection anyway.

Kill the power using that big red switch labeled "Main Power", get an electrician in to remove the wired fuse board and questionable isolator switch. He can then fit your new socket, test, and provide a "minor works certificate".
    Note - The wired fuse carriers probably contain asbestos, so will need to be disposed of in the proper manner.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • edited 1 June at 12:02PM
    DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 12:02PM
    Thanks @FreeBear
    Whilst it's been maybe 2-3 years since consumer unit was replaced, from your answer I could only think possibly the extra bit wasn't removed due to seriously constrained space-my hall cupboard is  sold school as it has a boiler on top of wooden frame.
    I'll switch off Mains as you suggest, before considering local electrician for that extra part to be removed.
    Thanks for detailed answer, much better this time than initial Igmur responses. 
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the greatest respect, if you don't know what you're working with or even the correct terminology of the circuit protection, you shouldn't even be changing a socket plate. The problem is your lack of experience means you won't know what looks right when you replace the socket.
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,365 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Mutton_Geoff
    Which part of this thread are you referring to.
    I'll continue with purchase and replacement of wall socket which includes instructions.
    Respect deserved to other mser's that offer sensible advise -much more knowledgeable than me on what is required from my thread.