Do all Galaxy S10 screen protectors have a hole?

Options
JustAnotherSaver
JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 31 May 2020 at 6:34PM in Techie Stuff
I know what the hole is about - the fingerprint scanner. I just wonder whether it's absolutely necessary.

I've recently bought a Galaxy S10 and i've been trying to get a tempered glass screen protector. I've never had a phone without a screen protector.

I bought a S10e protector in error - this had a hole in it. Sent this back, bought from a different seller which came with a hole in it.

I searched on Amazon for one which from the images didn't appear to have a hole but then it came with a circular area where the fingerprint sensor is. Not exactly a hole but it may as well be.

Just wondered if a 'complete sheet' protector exists or whether they're a mix of holes and circles?

Comments

• MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 May 2020 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I've tried three different ones for my S10 lite and none of them have had a hole for the fingerprint reader or an area like you suggest.
    I will warn you though that from my experience fitting a tempered glass one, even the 0.3mm ones, lowered the sensitivity of the touch screen to the point of being so frustrating after a week I pulled them off. Typing and scrolling was especially problematic and you'd need to hold your finger on an icon for longer for it to register the press.
    If you're using a case that fits very well such as the Spigen ones you'll find some of the tempered glass ones that go round where the rounded edges of the screen are won't fit and will start to lift as the case applies pressure. The ones that don't go round that rounded edge stick out and you end up with a "clear" border all around the screen edge that dust and dirt can get under.
    All the ones I tried were ones that came in the top 2-3 of screen protector reviews. The last one which was the worst was the Ferilinso.
    In the end I've just given up on the idea of a screen protector.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    edited 31 May 2020 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I applied the protector and although i'm only on the startup section of the phone (from factory reset) it seemed responsive enough. Granted, this is far from a real world daily test though.

Have you tried seeing whether tempered protector and flappy-plastic protector differ in the areas you commented on?

Finally, i've already bought my case. It's a Mous one. Have had a Mous case on my iPhone for some time after years of being an Otterbox case owner. The Mous cases are fantastic. My wife uses Spigen cases so i'm familiar with them.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 May 2020 at 10:30PM
    Options
    I've had Samsungs since the S2 (I'm a note9 at the moment) and never used a screen protector. I still have all the phones and none of them have any scratches on them. 
    If you do use one on your S10, check in the settings, you can adjust the sensitivity of the the touch screen, should you need to.
    As a matter of interest, why did you remove the screen protector it came with?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    RumRat said:
    I can't speak for Samsung phones, but ... most every other phone I've had the screen protector has either had a dummy display printed on it, or has the manufacturer logo on it - both options making the phone difficult to use.

I have always fitted a screen protector on my phones and have never noticed any touch issues.
  • RumRat
    edited 1 June 2020 at 10:08AM
    Options
    DoaM said:
    RumRat said:
    I can't speak for Samsung phones, but ... most every other phone I've had the screen protector has either had a dummy display printed on it, or has the manufacturer logo on it - both options making the phone difficult to use.

I have always fitted a screen protector on my phones and have never noticed any touch issues.
    No, the Samsung S10 comes with a clear screen protector pre installed. This is different to what you are describing, which is just the transit protector.
    The preinstalled one won't last as long as, say, a tempered glass one etc. but as an initial protector it works.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RumRat said:
    If you do use one on your S10, check in the settings, you can adjust the sensitivity of the the touch screen, should you need to.
    Every day is a learning day. The last protector I bought came as a pack of three so I'll try again and see if it improves it. I've found the setting and the option to increase it was set to off.

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I bought my S10 from Music Magpie in the ‘pristine’ condition. 

It came with no protector. 

I tried the crappy protector and the responsiveness was poor. I tweaked that setting and it helped a lot. 

In the past 10 years I’ve dropped my iphones perhaps 3 times, maybe 4 at the most. I’m fairly careful. Still though, i’d rather a screen protector than not. 
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2020 at 4:42PM
    Options
    I have a spinal cord injury and now prone to dropping things with out warning.
    On all my phone's I have used   gorilla tech tempered glass screen protectors and they do work. 
    Below is a link just to show what your looking for picture wise.
    I got mine off 
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Gorilla-Tech-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Shield-Cover/252335799307?epid=13036780790&hash=item3ac062bc0b:g:6jQAAOSw2AFZuqdC
    My OnePlus 7 phone has Orzly screen protectors as the above link don't do OP phones 
    I also have a Ringke Fusion X back cover from Amazon.which shows off the colour of my phone and has brilliant side protection and a small lip to protect the screen 
    Hope this helps
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • RumRat
    Options
    I bought my S10 from Music Magpie in the ‘pristine’ condition. 

It came with no protector. 

I tried the crappy protector and the responsiveness was poor. I tweaked that setting and it helped a lot. 

In the past 10 years I’ve dropped my iphones perhaps 3 times, maybe 4 at the most. I’m fairly careful. Still though, i’d rather a screen protector than not. 
    So original owner took it off....It's amazing how many people just piled in a ripped them off. Guess they got carried away with that unboxing sensation that some seem to suffer from.... :D
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 June 2020 at 4:47PM
    Options
    I have a Gorilla Glass protector on my Moto G8 Plus ... and I'm glad I do - my phone fell off the desk and bounced off the edge of my metal waste bin, screen down; the edge of the protector is chipped and there's a fine crack running across it. If I hadn't had the protector then it is probable that this would have been my screen that was damaged.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback