Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Asda delivery alcohol with security tags, struggling for refund

New Post Advanced Search

Asda delivery alcohol with security tags, struggling for refund

22 replies 1.2K views
retro1981retro1981 Forumite
34 posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
I had an Asda delivery 8 days ago, cost over £200. Amongst it was 6 bottles of alcohol, all in bag, which still had the security tags. My husband and I returned them to the delivery driver, as wehwe for years with Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury, with any items that are unsuitable. I have always received an email and refund promptly after delivery date. On this occasion I didn't, so rang twice during the week, told I would receive a refund, and today received an email asking me to provide photos of the items in question, to which I don't have, as I fully trusted the driver and the process. I replied stating this and said surely there is a process with the driver when they return to store, that the van is checked and any refunds owing are processed. Has anyone had experience of this? I am owed £86 and am now getting worried. I am unsure how I should have handled the situation, looking back? It has never happened before, and had I kept the items, would I have been able to return to store, knowing I would set the alarms off? I would have been mortified. It only seemed natural to hand them back to the driver.

Replies

• milliemillie Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It says on their website that the driver will not accept return while the virus pandemic is on and you need to apply for the refund online. The driver did take one of my items back a few weeks ago and said he would mark the paperwork, but I still applied online for the refund. You only have 3 or 4 days after delivery to apply for it,
  • retro1981retro1981 Forumite
    34 posts
    millie said:
    It says on their website that the driver will not accept return while the virus pandemic is on and you need to apply for the refund online. The driver did take one of my items back a few weeks ago and said he would mark the paperwork, but I still applied online for the refund. You only have 3 or 4 days after delivery to apply for it,
    Thanks Millie, my original order email stated if unhappy with any items to return to driver. I also did use the Refund option on the app but it got rejected :-( 
  • skinnishskinnish Forumite
    14 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I have had in the past asda returns not being refunded and put it down to the driver feeling a bit peckish on his delivery route. It was always for a small amount so didn’t bother complaining 
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not accepting refunds during the pandemic but under normal circumstances, when I have handed back to the driver, they scan each item returned in front of you so you know they have processed it.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    882 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn’t you just keep the bottles and break the security off ?
  • edited 1 June at 9:48AM
    FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 9:48AM
    PLRFD said:
    Because OP didn't want them? Maybe it was a subbed item?  But there is no need to explain as it is not relevant to the OP question

• retro1981retro1981 Forumite
    34 posts
    PLRFD said:
    It wouldn't have occured to me to do such a thing. I'd worry about smashing the bottles and really it's not my job to remove them, they should have processes in place to ensure the tag is removed before delivering to a customer.
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    882 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭

Farway said:
    PLRFD said:
    Because OP didn't want them? Maybe it was a subbed item?  But there is no need to explain as it is not relevant to the OP question

It’s relevant if the person ordered them but didn’t want them because the tags were on which is how I read it.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD said:

Farway said:
    PLRFD said:

It’s relevant if the person ordered them but didn’t want them because the tags were on which is how I read it.
    I just hadn't thought of that angle, my bad

• mikbmikb Forumite
    260 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    and had I kept the items, would I have been able to return to store, knowing I would set the alarms off? I would have been mortified.

If the alarm goes off while you are bringing things into the store, you are the world's worst shoplifter :)