Car warranty issues

BoBoDobie
BoBoDobie Posts: 287 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We bought a second hand car last May from a main dealership a couple of hours away - it was just over 2 years old so had 10 months left on the manufacturer warranty and they gave us a 1 year warranty.   Fast forward to March and we noticed it was leaking from under the bonnet so got it booked in asap with my local main dealer as I told them I was keen to sort it whilst it was in warranty and it also was due its first MOT.  It was the last day before they shut for Covid and couldn't fix the problem and told me to keep topping up the coolant tank and they would fix it once they reopened.  It went in yesterday and turns out its a bigger issue and the car needs a new radiator which they want £800 to fix which is money I don't have.  I pointed out it was in warranty in March as it was under 3 years old and I thought they were honouring that.  They said that although it was under 3 years it was over the 60k milage allowance (its done 65k) so wasn't in warranty. I didn't know about the mileage caveat......lesson learned for the future.  They suggested calling the dealership I bought if off which I tried yesterday but it seems no-one wants to talk to me.  I'll try again next week but I just wondered want my chances are at getting the original dealership to do anything seeing as the problem reared its head in March but due to Covid we've not been able to pursue fixing it.  The nearest franchise to who we bought it off is an hour away or would it have to take it to where we got it?

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If it has a 60k mileage warranty it is out of warranty, however if you have a full main dealer service history you should ask them to consider a manufacturer contribution for the work to reward your loyalty.  I once knew someone who had a failed radiator on a 10 year old Honda and it was replaced f.o.c.

If they won't play get the car back and find an independent who will probably do the job for half a main dealer price.

• BoBoDobie
    Thanks DaveyJP.   Its still in the 1 year warranty the dealer gave us who we bought it off though?  Well it was in March when the problem occurred and before we were locked down.

My dealership said if it was only 1k over then Ford would've contributed but being 5k over they won't.

Yes if all else fails I'll have to get an independent to do it but the part itself is over £300 before you've added labor!  
  • KimJongUn88
    KimJongUn88 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends how the radiator has failed too. If it’s a manufacturing defect, you’ll be covered. If a stone has put a hole in it, it’ll be classed as wear and tear and not covered by the warranty.
  • BoBoDobie
    Depends how the radiator has failed too. If it’s a manufacturing defect, you’ll be covered. If a stone has put a hole in it, it’ll be classed as wear and tear and not covered by the warranty.
    Yes he did mention that now I come to think of it but said they'd have to strip it down to find that out.  Just didn't expect it to go on a 3 year old car.  Never had this with the Toyota!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    3yr/60k is the original manufacturer's warranty.
    But you were given a separate 1yr used car warranty on purchase? Does that have a mileage limit?
  • BoBoDobie
    AdrianC said:
    3yr/60k is the original manufacturer's warranty.
    But you were given a separate 1yr used car warranty on purchase? Does that have a mileage limit?
    Well not that I know of!!  I've not done many miles in a year so can't imagine I would have exceeded one anyway.  But it would have run out on 3rd May so I'm worried they won't honour it at this stage and I can't get anyone to return my calls which isn't filling me with joy.  I'll try again next week but I feel like they're giving the run around so wanted to sound it out on here.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    You have documentary evidence of having logged the issue with them before the warranty expired...
  • BoBoDobie
    AdrianC said:
    You have documentary evidence of having logged the issue with them before the warranty expired...
    Not with the dealer I bought it off though?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2020 at 11:00AM
    Have you checked the price of the radiator on eurocarparts.com? Put in your Reg No and type radiator in the search box. Then use the discount code SALE60. I have a big car and mine is less than £70. Mine went a few years ago. I was checking fluid levels prior to going on holiday at midday on a Saturday. Coolant was low. I traced the leak to the radiator and took it out. I had to find a eurocarparts with one in stock that opened on a Sunday. It was quite a drive but I was there when it opened. Put the new one in and we left at midday on Sunday. Hotel didn't charge us for the night. Very understanding of them. I remember saying to the wife you'd never get a garage to put a new radiator in on a weekend.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    BoBoDobie said:
    AdrianC said:
    Not with the dealer I bought it off though?
    That may be a problem, as the warranty company will likely have a strict 1 year limit - if it wasn't reported to the selling dealer, they may have difficulty with this. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback