Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

[UK Parking Patrol Office / BW Legal] Claim stayed

Hello all,
Long time lurker first time poster. I submitted a defence to a claim for £160 from the lovely folk over at BW Legal using the updated template with a focus on abuse of process at the beginning of April and received a letter from them shortly afterwards offering yet another discount which I duly ignored. I haven't heard anything from anyone since then.
I got in touch with the county court to request an update on my case and they have responded by saying that the case is now stayed and that the claimant will need to make an application to lift the stay if they wish to proceed with the case and that there is an indefinite period of time for the claimant to file that application.
Please could somebody explain to me what this means in layman's terms and what the likely outcome will be?
Many thanks.

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    33.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the court say why it was 'stayed'?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • AgentSmeethAgentSmeeth Forumite
    9 Posts
    First Post
    No they didn't but I will respond and ask the question. Thanks.
    9 Posts
    First Post
    Castle said:
    Have you checked on MCOL to see if UKPPO have filed their DQ?
    As far as I can see on MCOL the only transactions logged for the case are my AOS and the receipt of my defence.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect the case isn't stayed and the CCBC assumed it was due to delays.  Sit tight and wait.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001nosferatu1001 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C-M - if there is no info about a DQ being sent out - which is automatically workflowed once they log an "intent to continue" tickbox - that suggests the desire to continue wasnt done

OP - you could call the court and ask, specifically, why the claim is staye
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but probably the C will say they did, or needed more time due to COVID_19, and I suspect the case will continue.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001nosferatu1001 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a check box so I see no reasno why they shoudl be given relief from sanction...
    9 Posts
    First Post
    They did on the other hand have time to put together and send me a response to my defence stating that it did not make sense and I had provided no evidence to support my position (disregarding the three judgements and transcript which had been attached) and they also saw fit to impose a deadline for me to respond to them in order to avoid them proceeding with the claim. It would not seem fair for them to be given leeway when they themselves would impose a deadline for the defendant to respond to their own correspondence in order to avoid them proceeding with the claim.