VAT Relief for Medical supportive goods

Options
Purchased riser chair for husband who has health issues.  The item stated it was subject to VAT relief which we were eligible.  Ordered goods, completed form and sent to Amazon.  Message came back from Amazon stating VAT was not charged on the goods.  Should VAT not be charged for goods in Britain and should the figure shown on the site not state the figure shown is VAT free.  I paid £649 which was the purchase figure, it did not say VAT included or excluded and I expected VAT relief on the figure shown.  The seller on Amazon has a UK address.  Thanks for any explanation which could help me to understand.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post a link to the item on Amazon?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and take a guess at this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-DeVilbiss-Anti-Microbial-Healthcare-Recliner/dp/B07DB28SL2/ref=sr_1_82?dchild=1&keywords=riser%2Bchair&qid=1590659122&sr=8-82&th=1

Goods that are designed for use by both disabled and non disabled persons and which are eligible for VAT relief should be advertised and sold at the VAT inclusive price and if the buyer qualifies, they can reclaim the VAT after purchase.
  • Kattekwaad
    Kattekwaad Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 May 2020 at 11:28AM
    Options
    OP you need to approach HMRC and apply for the relief.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP you need to approach HMRC and apply for the relief.
    HMRC do not refund the VAT in instances like this.
    What should happen is that when making the purchase of qualifying goods, if the purchaser (or the person buying on their behalf) is entitled to get the goods VAT free, they have to fill out the requisite form and give this to the retailer who then supplies the goods at the VAT free price.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above last item i ordered to get VAT free required a form filled .
    PS Lloyds the chemist have a big list dealing with vat free and health .
  • christina65
    christina65 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have purchased goods before and the price showing prior to purchase stated the vat was included or excluded and the price paid changed from that stated.  The invoice I have received states there is no VAT on the goods.  I have filled the form but it looks like the price paid of £649 stands. I expected the 20% VAT exempt figure to be returned, which would reduce the figure but according to Amazon their is no VAT charged.  Looks like the goods are zero rated for VAT which is unclear on the Amazon site and I did not think this was legal or fair.  If I had bought the chair without any health conditions the price would have been £649 the same as the price with the health conditions. 
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    What Amazon or the seller is doing is incorrect and goes against the requirements of HMRC.
    Some goods that are for people with disabilities can be sold at zero VAT only but only if those goods are intended for disabled use only (things such as white canes). 
    If items are intended for use by both disabled and non disabled purchasers, this must be stated on the advert and they must only be sold VAT exclusive once the required form has been received by the retailer.

• Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it possible the seller is not vat registered?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Lomast said:
    Was just about to ask that  ;)
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Lomast said:
    In which case, surely they shouldn't have stated that the chair was eligible for VAT relief.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback