Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Halifax new reward account - best way to make £500 debit card payment

New Post Advanced Search

Halifax new reward account - best way to make £500 debit card payment

23 replies 2.5K views
Searched the forum but didnt see a similar thread. I've heard that the Halifax reward account is changing - anyone have any ideas of how best to take advantage of the £500 debit card payment? Must admit I've rarely if ever use a debit card for transactions!

Replies

• Wheres_My_CashbackWheres_My_Cashback Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    burner01 said:
    Searched the forum but didnt see a similar thread. I've heard that the Halifax reward account is changing - anyone have any ideas of how best to take advantage of the £500 debit card payment? Must admit I've rarely if ever use a debit card for transactions!
    You go in store and make a purchase of £500, by handing over your debit card and then using one of those pin machines to enter your number, if you know it. Quite simple really. You'' soon get used to using your debit card, it's not difficult.
    Alternatively do it online and you won't have to know the pin number, even simpler hey. Hope that helps.
  • veryintriguedveryintrigued Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately circa three other threads of this ilk have have been marked as spam by some forumites. Presumably  by those who now have a workaround solution and don't wish to share it.

Take a look at the last few posts in this thread which, so far, has been saved the axe.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6113322/halifax-reward-account-changing-to-3-charge-with-lifestyle-rewards#latest

Good luck
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    burner01 said:
    There have been various threads about this that haven't ended well, as there are two fundamentally-opposed schools of thought with little room for common ground, i.e. "let's share ideas about how to exploit such conditions" versus "spelling this out in a blatant manner increases the likelihood of the scheme being pulled".  Chances are that some from each side will post on this one before long, but in the mean time, keep searching!
  • edited 22 May at 12:19PM
    Wheres_My_CashbackWheres_My_Cashback Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 May at 12:19PM
    Ashen said:
    The problem is that people making deliberately unhelpful and sarcastic comments like the first reply - i.e "you just spend £500 in a shop using your PIN, quite simple", as happened in a previous post exactly like this, just make me even further opposed to their side. If someone doesn't want to help, fine, but don't behave like a child.
    The problem actually was that certain posters couldn't help themselves constantly suabble/bait and play a game of one upmanship.against each other.
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with the content about the £500 which has been discussed in depth in the remaining thread, hence no need for this one except to cause more friction.

• edited 22 May at 12:37PM
    AshenAshen Forumite
    561 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 22 May at 12:37PM
    Ashen said:
    The problem is that people making deliberately unhelpful and sarcastic comments like the first reply - i.e "you just spend £500 in a shop using your PIN, quite simple", as happened in a previous post exactly like this, just make me even further opposed to their side. If someone doesn't want to help, fine, but don't behave like a child.
    The problem actually was that certain posters couldn't help themselves constantly suabble/bait and play a game of one upmanship.against each other.
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with the content about the £500 which has been discussed in depth in the remaining thread, hence no need for this one except to cause more friction.

It can be both reasons - as well as yours, the previous post I referred to was by someone who has definitely made their view clear on not wanting such public comments (i.e. calling for them to mark posts as spam), and them making deliberately unhelpful posts only reinforces my view.

Either way, it doesn't change my point about there being no need for deliberately unhelpful and childish replies.
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashen said:
    Ashen said:

It could be both reasons. Either way, it doesn't change my point about there being no need for deliberately unhelpful and childish replies.
    Oh it does if you believe that this post isn't at all genuine. Either way the OP has succeeded.
  • AshenAshen Forumite
    561 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Ashen said:
    Ashen said:

It could be both reasons. Either way, it doesn't change my point about there being no need for deliberately unhelpful and childish replies.
    Oh it does if you believe that this post isn't at all genuine. Either way the OP has succeeded.
    Personally, even if I thought it was likely not genuine, I wouldn't make deliberately unhelpful and childish replies on the chance it might be genuine. But I guess people differ.
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashen said:
    Ashen said:
    Ashen said:

Personally, even if I thought it was likely not genuine, I wouldn't make deliberately unhelpful and childish replies on the chance it might be genuine. But I guess people differ.
    I thought it was quite helpful and should guarantee that the OP receives the £5 reward as long as they stick to the t&cs. Pretty sure that none of the other supposed methods I've seen in other threads will do that as it's all just supposition.
  • slenderkittenslenderkitten Forumite
    962 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    they changed it so you have to deposit i think something like £1500 a month so i wont qualify any more so mine will be demoted to a non reward account. 
    My Signature is MY OWN!!