New Post Advanced Search

Charges for terminals

7 replies 191 views
WiccawomanWiccawoman Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
How can card terminal companies justify paying a monthly fee for a terminal that is sitting in a lockdown business of absolute no use to any one.  The one we have is not fit for purpose even before lockdown but they were asking for huge cancellation fees.  Now it is of absolute no use and I am still having to pay for the "hire" of it.  They politely asked if I would like to cancel when I asked for a break on the fees and I said yes that would be best as we will probably last in the return to work phasing, now they want £300 cancellation fee.  10 weeks we have had no income but they want paid for an obsolete service. Surely this cannot be right

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what you mean by 'right' - you could undoubtedly make some sort of moral argument but ultimately you have a contractual agreement with your supplier with Ts & Cs that govern its conduct, what do they say, both about 'fitness for purpose' and cancellation rights (or breaks)?
  • dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You might get a better response by getting this moved to the small business section of MSE. This is nothing to do with credit cards. 
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • penners324penners324 Forumite
    441 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Get an iZettle or SumUp card machine. No monthly charge and take 1.75% of payments as their fee.
  • Barney_Rubble_0403Barney_Rubble_0403 Forumite
    177 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic
    Our Barclaycard costs around £25 a month plus vat just for the machine. You would think the processing fees were high enough to justify not paying a rental charge. It's lying around doing nothing at the moment. 
    ::A
  • AndyjfletAndyjflet Forumite
    255 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Wrong section  :(
    Baby Step 1 - £1000 saved for emergency fund
    M&S Loan £13133 inc interest full term
    M&S Credit card 0% £3560.74
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    4.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll move it
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 2bFrank2bFrank Forumite
    226 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Depends on your contract, however if its costing you a fortune and its not fit for purpose then binning it off would be your best option. £300 cancellation is pretty bad to be honest, however I have seen a lot worse. My wife has a beauty salon and the SumUp 3g is pretty good, its a standalone device and works really well, they take 1.69% fee. I think you can get a printer for it as well, but she does email receipts if the customer wants one.