Forum Home» Credit Cards

Getting a credit card refund turned into 'cash'

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Getting a credit card refund turned into 'cash'

edited 18 May at 12:02PM in Credit Cards
20 replies 751 views
BOWFERBOWFER Forumite
61 posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
edited 18 May at 12:02PM in Credit Cards
It looks like our holiday will be refunded.
We paid by credit card, for protection, but then immediately paid the card.
The problem we have is that we'd like to use the money for house improvements, and we can't pay the tradesmen by credit card.
Is it possible for us to get the money paid back into our bank account?
FWIW the card is MBNA and the bank is Clydesdale.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    15.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as pointed out in all the other threads about this, contact the card company and ask for a credit balance refund.
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    eskbanker said:
    Yes, as pointed out in all the other threads about this, contact the card company and ask for a credit balance refund.
    That is fine if you are in credit. It's a bit annoying if they refund to your 0% stoozing credit card.

• edited 20 May at 3:59PM
    BOWFERBOWFER Forumite
    61 posts
    edited 20 May at 3:59PM
    Would the card have to be in credit to get a cash refund?
    I have a balance of around £4k on the card, the holiday refund would be around £3K.
    Does this mean I'm screwed for a cash refund and will just have to accept the balance on the card coming down to £1k?
    FWIW the holiday amounts put on the card were paid immediately, none of the current £4k balance can be attributed to the holiday.

• edited 20 May at 4:01PM
    bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 May at 4:01PM
    Correct, they are under no obligation whatsoever to give you the £3k. The refund will just reduce your balance down to £1k.

Have read about someone who managed to get them to send it back to him when he had a balance but I have no idea how he managed that.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOWFER said:
    I have a balance of around £4k on the card, the holiday refund would be around £3K.
    Does this mean I'm screwed for a cash refund and will just have to accept the balance on the card coming down to £1k?
    FWIW the holiday amounts put on the card were paid immediately, none of the current £4k balance can be attributed to the holiday.

Yes...................IMO you are not eligible for a refund. You could try to contact them to see if they will do what they want or alternatively would you be eligible for a new money transfer card?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • BOWFERBOWFER Forumite
    61 posts
    BOWFER said:

Yes...................IMO you are not eligible for a refund. You could try to contact them to see if they will do what they want or alternatively would you be eligible for a new money transfer card?
    Ah, are you thinking transfer the £4k to a new card?
    Then when the refund comes through for the holiday, it will automatically put my existing card into credit?
    That is genius, if it would work. 
  • edited 21 May at 3:50PM
    bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 May at 3:50PM
    No reason why it wouldnt as long as you get it done quickly 
  • briandobriando Forumite
    2 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    I always pay my balance monthly. The credit card company have credited the £2k holiday money and holding onto it against future spend ie a no credit credit card! Surely they should return the situation to as it was before I paid them the money?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them to send you the credit balance.

Alternatively, just spend it.

Or if you're not planning on using the card again, close it.