New Post Advanced Search

Cash

8 replies 341 views
lesley2403lesley2403 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
If I manage to get a refund of £2000 for my cancelled holiday and it goes onto my credit card can I transfer that back to my savings free??? I only use this card for holidays so don't want it sitting as a balance indefinitely

Replies

• bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes of course you can, just ring and ask.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martin Lewis has put a post somewhere in one of his Coronavirus guides explaining the importance of the refund being processed as a return of balance and not cash advance (which is often subject to a fee).
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin Lewis has put a post somewhere in one of his Coronavirus guides explaining the importance of the refund being processed as a return of balance and not cash advance (which is often subject to a fee).
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/#creditcardrefund

If you're significantly in credit, you should be able to ask your provider to transfer the credit back into your bank account free of charge. You can do this by getting in touch with your provider directly – online or via its app if you can, as phone lines are likely to have long waits – and requesting a "refund of credit balance".

• adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    288 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Just a heads up as there’s been posts recently,  the refund back onto your card will obviously if there is a balance on the card take that into account first.

I.E if you have a balance of £500 owed on your card and the refund of 2000 hits it’ll only be positive £1500.
  • edited 18 May at 2:48PM
    RichGTRichGT Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 18 May at 2:48PM
    I have complied with ALL requests of my credit card company, my point is that 3 weeks later, MY MONEY is till sitting in my credit card account as a "Return of Balance". How long should this take?
  • RichGTRichGT Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    hahahaha, I'm still waiting after 3 weeks
  • notveryeducatednotveryeducated Forumite
    146 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    RichGT said:
    hahahaha, I'm still waiting after 3 weeks
    Which bank/provider is that? 
  • NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I received a decent(ish) refund last week on to our Barclaycard - managed to call a helpful (working from home) rep. without waiting too long, the money was back in my normal current account within 24 hours.