Virgin media home move exit fees

Hi guys, i need some help...i am moving into my first mortgage home from renting for about 9 years i am currently with virgin media broadband..i rang them up yesterday to tell them and gave them my new address and moving date only for the woman to say theres no virgin media in that area and that i will have to cancel. I said i dont want to cancel but how much would that be £145 she says....i ts not my fault they dont supply my new area...should i pay the fees because i dont think its fair at all, as anyone had any luck with this unfair cancelation fee...thankyou

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Read your T&Cs and search the forum.  Not the first time this has come up.
    In a nutshell:  Not Virgin's fault you're moving to a non Virgin area.
  • maximoose94
    maximoose94 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How is it unfair? You signed up with VM and agreed a contract: they will provide you services and you will pay them money. You agreed this for a certain length of time I.e. The contract.

You're now opting to move property during this contract. VM have done (and continue to) fulfill their part of the contract.
    You deciding to break that contract is your choice. That choice comes with a penalty. That penalty is the early cancellation fee, as dictated in the contract that you agreed to when taking out their services. 
    Appreciate £145 is neither here nor there for a company the size of VM, but legally speaking, it's a contract. You agreed to it. 
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sometimes the cancellation fee might be negotiable, would be worth trying in my opinion.
  • Read your T&Cs and search the forum.  Not the first time this has come up.
    I dont want to cancel, they want me to cancel so not a chance there getting a penny off me...take me to court if i have to 
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    I dont want to cancel, they want me to cancel so not a chance there getting a penny off me...take me to court if i have to 

That's not what you said in the original post.  You said, (my emphasis on the key parts) "i am moving into my first mortgage home from renting for about 9 years i am currently with virgin media broadband..i rang them up yesterday to tell them and gave them my new address and moving date only for the woman to say theres no virgin media in that area and that i will have to cancel. I said i dont want to cancel but how much would that be £145 she says....i ts not my fault they dont supply my new area...should i pay the fees because i dont think its fair at all, as anyone had any luck with this unfair cancelation fee...thankyou"

You're moving to an area/house without Virgin. That's not a fault of Virgin, its not like they're saying you have to move to 17 Cherry Tree Lane, and by the way we don't serve that address.
    If you wanted to keep your Virgin services that badly you probably should have checked whether Virgin supply the new house before you decided to move there in the first place.
  • OrbitHeadache
    OrbitHeadache Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Danny when you took out your Virgin contract you agreed to the terms. Can you point me where it says in your contract that if you move house and Virgin can’t supply your new address that you will not have to pay any exit fees?

Virgin are in the right I am afraid, and they  probably won’t take you to court they will just trash your credit rating.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't be dumb. You contracted at your current address. Not at any other. So, if you move, you are breaching the contract.
    This comes up regularly, the answer does not change.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite

No problem if you do that they just pass the debt to debt recovery firm and trash your credit record for  6 years .

• ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How is it unfair? You signed up with VM and agreed a contract: they will provide you services and you will pay them money. You agreed this for a certain length of time I.e. The contract.

You're now opting to move property during this contract. VM have done (and continue to) fulfill their part of the contract.
    You deciding to break that contract is your choice. That choice comes with a penalty. That penalty is the early cancellation fee, as dictated in the contract that you agreed to when taking out their services. 
    Appreciate £145 is neither here nor there for a company the size of VM, but legally speaking, it's a contract. You agreed to it. 
    If they take you to court you can kiss goodbye to another mortgage for 6 years until the court judgement drops off your credit history.
  • Bobby_Bouche
    Bobby_Bouche Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have been subjected to this on 2 occasions in 3 years. I tried all I can but had to simply pay the fee and move.
    As others have said if you refuse to pay they WILL take enforcement action eventually. Bye-bye to good credit then for 6 years, even if it's for £19 (happened to me in the 90's lol).
    Hate to be so blunt but read the T's & C's then suck it up and take the loss.
    I'd have paid £1000 to remove a £19 CCJ in the 90s when I wanted a mortgage. I wish I'd listened to others at the time!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback