Natwest wants to close the account of my son without explanation

Options
Natwest wants to close the account of my son without explanation. We spent whole day trying to talk with someone from the "Account closure team" and, at the end someone responde: "...Under terms and contitions...wait 15 days for a review..." and in the letter (arrived a week later that the date of the letter) the said "...make alternative arrangement for your banking before the after 14 days notice has expire". So they review during 14 days, close the accounts in 14 days?
No explanation at all. A nightmare!

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2020 at 4:11PM
    Options
    What is going on with NatWest?  So many threads about them closing/freezing accounts.
    I didn't use to read this board regularly - has this type of activity increased in the past few weeks?
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What kind of transactions was your son making ? Did he have a loan or overdraft with natwest ?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carmen5 said:

No explanation at all. A nightmare!

From your son? 
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    What is going on with NatWest?  So many threads about them closing/freezing accounts.
    I didn't use to read this board regularly - has this type of activity increased in the past few weeks?
    Appears to be a purge. Hardly surprising. 
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NatWest, and some other banks, are dumping customers and organisations with links to countries about which they have concerns including Nigeria and Iran.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you asked your son as to any recent transactions that might cause the bank some alarm in relation to money laundering? Has he received a significant deposit for any reason? Moved any large sums of money in and out of the account? If it's suspected money laundering, the bank would not inform you, and just take the action required while an investigation is carried out. (How old is your son btw?)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 30 April 2020 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Tallaght said:
    NatWest, and some other banks, are dumping customers and organisations with links to countries about which they have concerns including Nigeria and Iran.
    Likewise accounts with unusual transactions or transfers, high levels of cash activity, personal accounts used for business purposes, the list goes on. Monitoring accounts costs money at a time when bank profitability is under severe pressure. Easier to ask customers to move on elsewhere. 
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tallaght said:
    Likewise accounts with unusual transactions or transfers, high levels of cash activity, personal accounts used for business purposes, the list goes on. Monitoring accounts costs money at a time when bank profitability is under severe pressure. Easier to ask customers to move on elsewhere. 
    Fair enough, but they shouldn't have to wait weeks for what is rightfully theirs. i.e. their money.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • notveryeducated
    Options
    Fair enough, but they shouldn't have to wait weeks for what is rightfully theirs. i.e. their money.
    Steve, with the NatWest group it's usually 3+ months they make people wait. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback