bt rip off

Options
Please help
 i am a small sole trader, my business has folded because of coronavirus on 16 March- Bt have already mis sold me a business package ending  in  a contract April 2021- i am paying £150 ,£75 for my broadband and telephone line at my business which has been disconnected as it has folded and £75 for my home telephone and broadband which i want to obviously keep even though i am being ripped off.-i have  phoned Bt on numerous occasions as they said they were in negotiations with  the government but they have said they are still providing  a service for my business and have to keep paying my direct debits now or in the future. i can do nothing to get money back for anon service-Please advise!!!

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    you need to be clearer about the actual problem and why you think you are being ripped of. You mention that that the business package has been disconnected  - by BT? Why do you think you have been mis-sold? As a sole trader, you are responsible for any business debts, which would presumably include the minimum term of a business package.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above its a business to business transaction you are supposed to carry out due diligence .
  • 7nts
    7nts Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    thanks- bt did not cut off my lines but i disconnected computer lines and telephone lines for safety reasons-i feel i have been missold as my internet rental and line for my home is £75 most people pay about £25
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 April 2020 at 3:32PM
    Options
    7nts said:i feel i have been missold as my internet rental and line for my home is £75 most people pay about £25
    It's part of your Business connection Package which comes with additional facilities and guarantee of service not available on a domestic connection. 

You may not want (or need) a business connection now, but you signed up (willingly) to a contract which does not end until 2021. This wasn't mis-sold, if anything you mis-bought.

As above, this is a business-to-business contract and you should have done due diligence before agreeing. 

See if BT will allow a one-off Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fee to allow you to cancel. Could be expensive, but you need to consider it as part of the costs of winding up your business. 

Nothing to stop you then  shopping around for a cheap  domestic  connection from any provider.  

• JJ_Egan
    Options
    Not mis-sold if its a business .
    But your post is very unclear .
    What is this package you have from BT is it BT Business  .
    Who agreed this price ??  Agreeing a high price is not mis-selling .

First i have heard of turning off internet and phone for safety reasons .

• Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    7nts said:
    thanks- bt did not cut off my lines but i disconnected computer lines and telephone lines for safety reasons-i feel i have been missold as my internet rental and line for my home is £75 most people pay about £25
    With BT, when taking out a new contract,you haggle,haggle and haggle a bit more.
    I have 3 accounts at 3 different addresses with BT for phone and 80 meg fibre and recently renewed them for 24 months contracts,and even after the rise of 37pence, they each cost just over £22 per month.

• 7nts
    7nts Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice- i will try and terminate contract as i cannot see my business starting up again for a while

• RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al_Ross said:
    7nts said:
    With BT, when taking out a new contract,you haggle,haggle and haggle a bit more.
    I have 3 accounts at 3 different addresses with BT for phone and 80 meg fibre and recently renewed them for 24 months contracts,and even after the rise of 37pence, they each cost just over £22 per month.

Hi 
    Wow £22?!
    I was quoted £43 for only home phone and 50mbps broadband with BT. And I was told that was a £5 off Chat Only deal!
    What should I say to get them anywhere near down to £22???!
    thanks
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Be a BT customer nearing the end of contract and negotiate.
    Line Rental + BB + TV + BT Sport HD i negotiated to sun £40 pm on the threat of leaving .
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    RealGem said:
    Al_Ross said:
    7nts said:

Hi 
    Wow £22?!
    I was quoted £43 for only home phone and 50mbps broadband with BT. And I was told that was a £5 off Chat Only deal!
    What should I say to get them anywhere near down to £22???!
    thanks
    Never trust a salesmans seems to be your first mistake. Always always compare deals on an independent site or multiple sites before you commit to an deal or enter any discussions on price. You need all the information of other deals before you can negotiate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback